Ignition Barrel - Key won't go to start - Ford Capri

Chrome_GT

Something is up with my ignition barrel in the Capri. The key won't turn to start or position III. Have tried both my worn out keys and a spare which has the original key profile nice and sharp.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does lubricant help? Which one is used in ignition barrels, Dry graphite or oil?

Has anyone had their barrels rebuilt?

Yeah goes to run or II as normal.

Got some graphite powder today. Will try it out tomorrow.

If i have no luck with that i'll give crc a go. Have heard bad things about crc and ignition barrels so will avoid if i can.

If I'm still having issues guess i'll have to rip into it. Have read elsewhere that there are internal numbered bits which can be replaced once worn. However that may be fine in england but doubt ford NZ will be any help.

I'm pretty sure my Capri doesn't have steering lock - well either that or it has just never worked. Despite this i did try wiggling the steering wheel with no improvement. I do have some CRC contact cleaner which i'll use to clean the bits if i dismantle it.

I Have found the fault. It is the rear switching unit which is attached to the barrel by a couple of grubb screws. It didn't go to III. Have tried turning a spare with a screwdriver which works nicely.

I'll take the switch from spare and solder the orginals loom to it.

The loom on the spare is trash and firedamaged at the plug!!!!

key goes to on as normal?

if so prob something in the back is wrong. pull apart and fix it lol.

Haha, you must've known what i was in for. I pulled it apart and f#*k bits flew everywhere. Springs and small ball bearings. Oops. Turns out the torsion spring had broken inside the switching unit.

FIXED NOW! replaced switching unit with a spare one, it now works great.