Hydraulic handbrake

eskynut

I'm going to fit a hydraulic handbrake into my rally car and for it to pass scrutineering it has to be a professionally made unit.

Can anyone recommend a particular one to use?

I have seen 1 on t/m at one stage but it's no longer listed (or I can't find it).

Would prefer a horizontal set up.

Yeah I was starting to make my own but when I talked to the scrutineer about what i needed to do I was told I couldn't make 1 as it had to be a professionally made unit.

I suppose if it was made sweet it could pass as a pro model.

I'm wondering though if he is mistaken with FIA specs not clubman.

I may just keep on making mine and see what happens.

I'm using a 5/8" cylinder (no resivour type) with threaded in and out ports.

Hey man

Ive just about finished making my handbrake. Just taken the factory handbrake got an alloy bracket made up and brought a cylinder :)

Pretty straight forward. Doesnt look as cool as the ones on trademe. But has cost me at least 1/3 of the cost

I havent heard of any regulations in regards to the hydrualic handbrake and how and who they are made by ?

Mike

I've been trying to find out the exact regs for it but only have found something in scrutineers check list that asks if it has been pro made. Can't find anything to say it has to be a pro made item. So dunno where the guy I was talking to got the idea.

I'll just make a real good job of it and will see what haps.

I'm going to check out a few cars to get some ideas about pivot/fulcrum points etc to get lever action correct.

I've seen 1 where the m/c was mounted on an angle to help with the action of the pushrod and the brake pipes mounted sideways (apparently helps when bleeding).

from the motor sport manuel

When an owner of a competition vehicle wishes to use it on public roads, it is alegal requirement to have an Authority Card issued by MotorSport NZ, if any ofthe following items are fitted / modified: Competition safety harness / Roll protection that extends forward of the front seating positions and/ormodifications that effect the interior impact rule / Removal of an airbag SRS system / Braided hydraulicbrake lines / Hydraulic handbrake / Plastic glazing.Application is made by completing form T002 available from club secretaries, the MotorSportadministration office or from the MotorSport website www.motorsport.org.nz.Note 1: The applicant must hold a current MotorSport licence and the vehicle must have a competition logbook. Note 2: Braided brake lines and Plastic glazing may be covered by a LVV Certification

COMPETITION BRAKING SYSTEMHydraulic handbrakeCompliance with Schedule A« Does the vehicle comply with the basic requirements of the MotorSportsafety schedule? Note: It is no longer a requirement for the vehicle to beFIA Homologated.Design and construction« Is the hydraulic handbrake professionally constructed and securelymounted to the vehicle body?« Where the hand brake has its own fluid reservoir is it easy to check andtop up?Locking mechanism« Is the brake easy to apply and release?« Is the mechanism secure when in the applied position?Service brake unaffected« Is the service (foot) brake unaffected when the handbrake is released? Isthe operation of the rear service brakes unaffected?

Performance« Does the handbrake meet the minimum performance requirements? This ideally should checked using a brake-tester, however an application from 30 km/hr gives a good indication of the performance.« The handbrake shall also be tested to prove its ability to hold the vehicleon a reasonable slope. If a slope is not available then a 'drive away' testmay be used, i.e. attempt to drive off with the handbrake applied

mike your car is never gunna be used on public road so it dosent need a authrority card

the moment you wanna run on public roads closed or not you need a motorsport authority card and in that case its a different kettle of fish

Cost is not something you should give consideration when its your life on the line .

I havent heard of any regulations in regards to the hydrualic handbrake and how and who they are made by ?

perhaps instead of waiting to hear something you should buy a motorsport manuel before you start building a racecar

that way your 1/3 the cost one dosent turn into 1/3 more cost when you have to bin it and get one that meets the requirements

v

When an owner of a competition vehicle wishes to use it on public roads, it is alegal requirement to have an Authority Card issued by MotorSport NZ, if any ofthe following items are fitted / modified: Competition safety harness / Roll protection that extends forward of the front seating positions and/ormodifications that effect the interior impact rule / Removal of an airbag SRS system / Braided hydraulicbrake lines / Hydraulic handbrake / Plastic glazing.Application is made by completing form T002 available from club secretaries, the MotorSportadministration office or from the MotorSport website http://www.motorsport.org.nz.Note 1: The applicant must hold a current MotorSport licence and the vehicle must have a competition logbook. Note 2: Braided brake lines and Plastic glazing may be covered by a LVV Certification

COMPETITION BRAKING SYSTEMHydraulic handbrakeCompliance with Schedule A« Does the vehicle comply with the basic requirements of the MotorSportsafety schedule? Note: It is no longer a requirement for the vehicle to beFIA Homologated.Design and construction« Is the hydraulic handbrake professionally constructed and securelymounted to the vehicle body?« Where the hand brake has its own fluid reservoir is it easy to check andtop up?Locking mechanism« Is the brake easy to apply and release?« Is the mechanism secure when in the applied position?Service brake unaffected« Is the service (foot) brake unaffected when the handbrake is released? Isthe operation of the rear service brakes unaffected?

Performance« Does the handbrake meet the minimum performance requirements? This ideally should checked using a brake-tester, however an application from 30 km/hr gives a good indication of the performance.« The handbrake shall also be tested to prove its ability to hold the vehicleon a reasonable slope. If a slope is not available then a 'drive away' testmay be used, i.e. attempt to drive off with the handbrake applied

mike your car is never gunna be used on public road so it dosent need a authrority card

the moment you wanna run on public roads closed or not you need a motorsport authority card and in that case its a different kettle of fish

Cost is not something you should give consideration when its your life on the line .

perhaps instead of waiting to hear something you should buy a motorsport manuel before you start building a racecar

that way your 1/3 the cost one dosent turn into 1/3 more cost when you have to bin it and get one that meets the requirements

v

i agree

When an owner of a competition vehicle wishes to use it on public roads, it is alegal requirement to have an Authority Card issued by MotorSport NZ, if any ofthe following items are fitted / modified: Competition safety harness / Roll protection that extends forward of the front seating positions and/ormodifications that effect the interior impact rule / Removal of an airbag SRS system / Braided hydraulicbrake lines / Hydraulic handbrake / Plastic glazing.Application is made by completing form T002 available from club secretaries, the MotorSportadministration office or from the MotorSport website http://www.motorsport.org.nz.Note 1: The applicant must hold a current MotorSport licence and the vehicle must have a competition logbook. Note 2: Braided brake lines and Plastic glazing may be covered by a LVV Certification

v

It already is a built up rally car. I'm just doing a full rebuild and upgrading a few things while I'm at it.

All the stuff I'm doing to it is 'by the book'. But I'll need to renew my authority card when I've finished as it's about to run out from memory.

Just after thoughts from people how they've done things to hopefully make my job easier.

I'll just carry on then.

I got a 5/8" m/c to suit an external resivour. It has one inlet and one outlet fitting. Cheap as from Repco. $20 if I remember correctly.

I'm now trying to make up a bracket to mount the m/c. Then modify the std h/b lever with a pivot for the push rod and then make up a lock rod to be able to lock the h/b on for parking.

I'll try to add a pic soon as I figure out how to. Computers not my thing.

you asked questions i gave you answers and backed them up with documentation

it make no differance if its already built or one your wanting to build

you need the manuel to ensure you doing the modiforcations to the correct specs

I've been trying to find out the exact regs for it but only have found something in scrutineers check list that asks if it has been pro made. Can't find anything to say it has to be a pro made item. So dunno where the guy I was talking to got the idea.

he got the idea from the motorsport manuel... and he was true and correct in what he said

In my experance with making parts for motorsport cars

if it look professionally made they wont even look twice

if the fabrication or welding or design is not to a pro standered..they wont pass it

in order to make your job easier

how good are you at fabrication and welding

if your not at a pro level....it would be easier to make some parts up and get them done by a pro

have you worked out the size of cylander you need vs the rod ratio you have to make for a handbrake that works well ?

i posted the regs to show that there are some for it

all i did was type in hydraulic handbrake + aurthroity card into goggle ticked the nz search box...and it was that simple

wasent that hard

I got the hand book and it says nothing about my concerns ie it has to be pro made. It just states that if it has a hyd h/b it requires an authority card. And to get that it has to go through scrutineering by a msnz authorised scrutineer. The guy I spoke to told me it had to be pro made but I can't find anything to back up what he says. You have copied stuff from msnz and you are correct but it still doesn't specify if the hyd h/b is to be pro made.

I also thought that if properly made and it works well there should be no problem.

I have been searching the web for designs I could use,and as drift-monkey was interested in a diy setup I thought he might like to see the pictures.

Is the hydraulic handbrake professionally constructed and securelymounted to the vehicle body?«

v

some people can take that many ways

i take it as ....... made as a pro would constuct it :D

if you want some help post up ya plans

aside from the fact i would have liked the alloy stregthiners to be tagged on so there is mechanical strength as well that looks profesional...bar the shitty welding on the handle and poor angle on the bar

thickness of material is also a bit shy

if it was steel ..thickness would be fine

Hey

Yeah mines not going on the road. Scrutineers are just worried about safety and how it works not how it looks at the end of the day - As long as it does the job its supposed to do then no hassles

I based the construction of my handbrake on this one

86196379we9.gif

Mike

Cheers for that.

Yup very similar to what I'm doing.

So long as it looks sweet and operates correctly I shud be ok.

Cheers for your help guys