Engine drinking alot of water

Leebo3

First check you have the correct radiator cap on there - if you have an overflow bottle you will need a scavenge style rad cap - ie Tridon p/n TRS6 (not a TRC6 - they are for non scavenge types)

A temp gauage needs to have water around the sensor to get it to work - it does not pic up the temp of air..

Next I would not rip your heads of just yet - like Uncle Jake said - it is most probably a simple fix - if the motor has only done 1500Km I would retorque the heads (cast iron heads you retorque hot and alloy heads you retorque cold) Heads do settle in quite a lot and retorquing is critical (well I believe so, some people would disagree)

Also if you think your rad is not up to the job - get a bigger one - no need for an expensive alloy one - copper ones are better - just heavier.

Then fit a couple of thermo fans on the front of the rad (check they are blowing not sucking) and keep a decent size mechanical fan with a shroud on the backside of the rad.. I do not believe in discarding mechanical fans unless you are racing - and I know your wag is a cruiser not a racer.. :D

that is all - KTHXBAI

Thanks BDA, i have given the heads a tweak, and managed to break one rocker cover.... I should really torque down my inlet too yeah?

But i have just taken out my thermostat to see what that looked like, and it had a nice big bit of rusty metal jamming it open so thats why the engine wouldnt get hot so thats that problem solved.

The little toggle thats on the thermostat, should that go at the top or bottom?

I am meaning the tiny little toggle thats kinda on the face of the thermostat, i think its a pressure release or something? I guess it goes at the top anyway.

Its to let any air out from under the stat when you first fill the radiator with coolant