ThePogs Fiat X1/9

ThePog

Picked up another engine cover yesterday, hacked and welded today. I had already cut half the height out of the pods as it looked so arse. I fully welded the bitches on so then had to spend some considerable time grinding and smoothing the welds back, I may still need to smear a bit of poo down the joints to make it look a smidge better. Bit of barbeque paint and will be done then.

Vents004.JPG.d05429ec8ff729cf084481742b981ca5.JPG

Vents005.JPG.1b5163854b178e4dc66cfb79804c1367.JPG

Vents006.JPG.90208f08c387bbb66e34f703d1effd1b.JPG

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put that shit on, but first I checked the temp of the airbox, which fluctuated between 50 and 55 degrees. I swapped the covers and checked it, and it fluctuated between 50 and 55 degrees. A worthwhile result....

IMG_0095.jpg

I will hack more out of the inner skin though, and it did cool down a lot quicker....

Also; my car getting sucked into the gravity well of a planetoid.

IMG_0093.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed a kevlar race seat off a mate for the up and coming track day, so I don't get a sore elbow from bracing myself going around the bends... it came out of a Peugeot race car that was raced by Peter Brock at bathurst, so I will be channeling the awesome obviously.

brockP12hr.jpg

random005.thumb.JPG.8a21f448cc3dd9f9ffd64bd4519421ad.JPG

It took about half an hour to mount rails to it as the rail spacing in the car is 350mm, and the bolt hole spacing on the seat was 345mm so I simply had to ****cough**** ......sorry what was I saying?

I had ripped some rails from the seat of a Fiat 850 sport that I helped chop up a couple of weeks ago, as these turned out to be the same profile as the X's, this meant I didn't have to find a set of impossible to find X seats and cut them up to get the rails...

Looks pretty awesome in place, and is low enough for my helmet to clear the hoop thing behind my head - which is good as I have terrible trouble keeping my helmet from banging shit.... :wink:

I kind of want to keep in in there permanently, however getting into the car is difficult anyway - with this seat it is fucking near impossible for a man of my advanced years and manifold infirmities.

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped the wheels front to back as I though the stiffer sidewalls on the fronts would be better off restraining the engine end of the car which seemed to bear out + the new rears are slightly less grippy than 'tother ones :D

While they were being swapped I thought I would smash some black goodness on there...

misc024.thumb.JPG.5132beaae487ff58d1478678bb6918a5.JPG

Also while I was out checking the awesome new handling I had a MAJOR FUCKING REVELATION about my fuel consumption while looking at my TRIPMETER which was displaying the 122 kms for nigh on 3/4 of a tank of gas used. This (as you well know my dear bitches) works out to an almost epic 12mpg for a 1600cc car. Then the light dawned on me like the blinding light of JESUS LORD AND SAVIOUR that the speedo is in fucking MILES!

What a fucking penis I hear you say, and well you would be to say it.

Thus by a simple calculation performed, my consumption has MIRACULOUSLY jumped to 20mpg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished track day, was awesome fun. I had emailed as many people in the X1/9 Register a couple of weeks ago to see if I could get a good turnout of X1/9's - it worked alright, at one point there were 7 parked up.... not all were racing but there were at least 5 that did;

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.973e853042eff31009edd048fd481969.JPG

I only lasted for the morning session unfortunately as quite a lot of oil started to get blown out of the crank seal :rolleyes:

IMG_0105.thumb.JPG.5f1244cbc63d8d7c57e7a43df283ebf1.JPG

This coated the pulleys and cambelt so i thought it best to call it a day...

Up till then it was going really well, discovered that the best method at the hairpin was full noise sideways 8) . Scared myself with a couple of tankslappers too. Didn't get to see how fast I could get down the straight as I only ran the morning short courses...

Also got a ride in the Chapmans prototipo, that was sweet, twice as much of everything as mine has, power/handling/brakes..

In the afternoon, Brian from the Italian job lent me his Fiat Punto GT for a few rounds, that was pretty good for a FWD car - it spent most of the time with one of it's wheels cocked..

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to starting to sort the oil leak issue, poor thing has been up on stands in the garage for the last 3 weeks with nothing done.

However I had a couple of hours today and got to this stage - vizzling the offending blown out crank seal which is pretty obvious actually when not hidden by vital engine ancillaries, although maybe not so much for you good people due to failphone useless.

IMG_0136.jpg

I have a new seal and cambelt, goodness, joy end eternal crankcase seal integrity shall follow.

Someone sell me a catch can, mine is obviously fail.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went out to the garage to the garage to clear this;

Fiat002.thumb.JPG.cdac8f21a10e40e4e8628b670f5c3688.JPG

And found this;

Fiat001.thumb.JPG.dacdd63f9c7b6f605c39deea5fb11a43.JPG

And I always though the engine was in the back...?

Turns out the steering rack has about a litre of oil in it, and when a rack boot splits it pisses out onto the floor. Going to get it fixed this week and replaced with grease. Grease wont fall out I am guessing....

• 2 months later...

So there is another track day coming up with the Canterbury Fiat Lancia club. Last year I used a kevlar race seat which was good and supportive but this wasn't low enough to let me have the roof on while wearing a helmet which sucks quite badly. I have been looking around for a year for something that will do the trick, including looking at getting one of my existing seats modified to be lower and more supportive, but it was all difficult and/or expensive. So i though fuck that, why don't I just build one, then I can make sure it is as low as possible within the space that I have. Not too worried about the legalities as I will probably never use it on the road, and I can make it suit my awesomely chunky arse as well.

Still got a couple of bits to tack on yet - extra bracing between the hip and shoulders, and probably a couple of bits by the thigh. I will no doubt pull out of shape a bit when it gets fully welded, but as I have done it all pretty much by eye then meh. Initial indications are that I will have a spare 50mm or so above my helmet so yay.

Seat1.jpg

Seat2.jpg

Not sure whether to tack in some thin steel for the actual seaty bit, or pop rivet some ally sheet. Probly just velcro some padding straight on to whatever that ends up being.

• 1 month later...

Track day on Saturday so I thought I would actually try to finish my seat, this is today's effort;

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

It is really quite comfy and my helmet fits too...

Will cut belt holes etc tonight hopefully then find something to line them with. Then I need to find some padding, probably foam held down with duct tape for max rang spec.

So trackday has been and gone with the car mostly intact..

I had a big off at the hairpin, was doing an awesome full lock drift then next thing I know all this dirt and shit is blowing into my face through the window. No damage, but one of the rear tyres now has a clump of grass jammed between it and the rim :lol:

In the afternoon I did 7 laps hard out before the pedal went to the floor and I thought it best to pull in for a while. Not bad for a 30 year old car..

Also my brake reservoir cracked and pissed fluid everywhere, have to find another out of something else as these are not available anymore, apparently BMW 540/740 ones can be modded to fit - anyone got one?

The seat was pretty good, I semi covered it in camping roll the night before;

IMAG0229.jpg

Rough but semi effective.

• 1 month later...

So I have found a pretty good replacement for the brake reservoir on the X - off a 1992 Toyota Estima. The outlet tubes are a size too big so need reducers to work, but for $25 all up I am pretty happy with the result. At least I now have one car that is actually fucking driveable if I need it.

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...