fishtailfred's Ford Courier ute

rxtoy

holy shit!!!! maybe not the swap i would have done but the engineering quality is amazing. i think pedantic is the word i'm looking for. words almost fail me for the amount of detail you've gone into on everything. that must have taken a hell of a lot of planning along with huge amounts of time doing the actual work. top notch job, you must be pretty happy.

cheers

Matt

thanks man, a lot of it is pretty nice, but there are a lot of things i'd change that i did in a hurry so i could drive it before i left nz turf. its also far from finished, needs a bunch of stuff and another few months of hard slog to get it certable and usable in a track thrashed fashion.

as for planning, only in my head over the last 3 or so years. my old man built our 40ft boat from his head too, its pretty good, though not perfect. i've been thinking about the swap and collecting parts to do this for a long long time. the turbo idea only came about on the 16th of january when i did this burnout in the carport :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKo0aJKhC5I

i went inside all hyped up and went straight on trademe and bid on a gtr intercooler, they are good for about 500hp, so i set about finding other parts to make the same sort of figures and just pieced it together as i needed to.

i had been working on the sump etc for a month before that. i guess it went from half disassembled cab n chassis with a nice chassis paint job to nearly done turbo rocket in about 5.5months.

the intercooler plumbing is dodgy and needs to be changed at some point. one of the silicone couplers is a cheapy chinese one, i want to lighten the front end a bunch, put decent light bucket seats in it, and 4 or 5 points belts, it needs more injectors before i can turn up the boost more. on 17.5 psi it rips though, as evidenced in the acceleration videos :

and

you can hear the turbo in this one :

i want it to hand evos and wrxs etc their arse thoroughly, being nearly as fast or as fast isnt enough. i want them to go WTF?? :-)

i reckon its good for a mid 13 right now, but didnt even get a chance to try it out with my gtech pro RR. just based on my software simulator that i ran all the other estimated data through. if you watch the vids carefully though, it seems slower than what the software thinks it should be to get between any two speeds, so i might be in for a not so good surprise on that. maybe its still heavier than i think it is.

so, in summary, yeah, i've been thinking about it for 3 years, and working on it for 5 months (cept the rust repairs and chassis stuff) i was working 50-60 hour weeks at the same time too. just not sleeping a hell of a lot as evidenced here :

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... C_2274.jpg

megasquirt for the win i tell you :-)

btw, one of the two main devs on msextra is a rotor nut, so rotary support is included always if you ever wanna try it... go for it :-) cause carbs suck.

thats some shit hot work mate well done.

is this the first time you have done this?

its all looking good man keep it up

cheers, yes, first serious project. the vw attempts were good learning phases as was the breaking the thing from flogging it all the time and having to fix it. i just set about reading (way too much on the net) and then built the bastard! :-)

fred.

cheers man, just you wait till i get my teeth into the vw! have to finish this first. needs brakes. has m1166 pads on brand new brembo rotors, and they dont fade, but by christ, they get HOT like never before, and just wouldnt last. stock rotors are 253x20 on them. i LOVE your little suzy. its so cool!