dry cell vs lead acid

Ke36

gotta get battery for lancer

box etc all setup in boot allready

is it worth the extra for dry cell/do i need it if im guna be fangning it round?

plus racing rules etc can i do trackdays with lead acid in boot?

all the lead acid ones etc are still sealed aint they so not guna spill over the place when mean sideways action is occuring?

can get a sweet big lead acid for like a hundy but decent optima dry cells are like 300+

all this shit bout fumes etc but meh

cheers

can get dry cell for cheaper.

I reckon european 'DIN' batteries are where it's at.

reasonably small for their cranking ability, and they're fully sealed except for a vent which you attach a tube to. me = still rockin that stz in the pug, which makes for best idea I reckon as the fumes from the battery breathing are all expelled out the tube which exits through a hole in the floor out to open air.

mean

if you wanna go flash, i'd use agm type ones. piss all over all the other types for most stuff. you'd be hard pressed to make a lead acid leak even if it was an open type one. many/most of them are sealedish now anyway. the AA ones are quite good. particularly the 2113 i think, but not sure. dont have the info handy. its rated at less than it actually does! have one in my skyline and in my girls ae111. on our boat we have gel batteries, but agm is better than those.

dry cells are great for what your wantign to do...and really teh extra effort to put a vented or trayed cell in your car e far outways teh slighly more premum price you will pay for one

+ it will make your doodle bigger

nuff said

you'd be hard pressed to make a lead acid leak even if it was an open type one.

I found it pretty easy. The battery tray on my old Corolla rusted out where the strap hooked into it and it all tore out when I was fanging it around my favourite corner. Battery fell on it's side, started pouring it's contents onto the alternator, fan, fanbelt etc. and sprayed acid shit everywhere. Was a nasty mess.

Yeah, just read my post again, see if anything clicks

gotcha, it must have been an open type then, not a semi sealed. the semi sealed ones only vent when they are overcharged. i'm not saying the vapours wont rust, just that you wont get liquids coming out whilst its still upright. least not on a well designed one thats not overfilled etc.

gel batteries are great for longevity and upsidedownness, but they have to be charged at a lower rate and voltage or they pop seals and dry up.

they last 10 - 20 years, thats why they are so good. ours in our boat were 2nd hand and about 8 years old, and only got replaced about a year ago after being in there for a decade. you dont really need that in a car :-) ie, it wont kill you if it goes flat randomly and you need a jump/roll/replacement. in a boat at the wrong time it will.

fred.

no legalities over them in boot apparently, plus they fine for mototrsport

Thats good coss i just choped my battery tray out to re locate in the boot...where are you running your power supply under the car or through the engone bay etc?

Do you need a fuse at the battery box? ... for if you have a crash and the cable gets pinched inturn causing fire risk etc?

Thats good coss i just choped my battery tray out to re locate in the boot...where are you running your power supply under the car or through the engone bay etc?

Do you need a fuse at the battery box? ... for if you have a crash and the cable gets pinched inturn causing fire risk etc?

i dont know about legally, but consider that you dont need to crash, just some chafing over a few months could burn you and your precious car.

trouble is that depending on how efficient your starter is, and how big/small your engine is, you'll need 100 - 200 amp of breaker/fuse to stop it blowing/tripping while you are cranking.

i used a marine circuit breaker at 100amps from the place next to supacheap in albany, but my starter is an efficient late jap one with gear reduction in it. from memory it was about 40 bucks or so. could be off with that though.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... 0_4168.jpg

thats it.

Ok cool that sounds like a good solution cheers, will check out the marine shop next to repco in Petone.

woops, didnt see that you were down there.

this is them, any of those at all close? the marine shop i usually go to on the shore didnt have anything like it. i dont know how common they are, this place is for flash yachts and stuff... :

http://www.lustyandblundell.co.nz/index ... bgroup=102

there you go, theres the range :

http://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/index.c ... ku=7100CBS

fred.