OS Capri engine parts random talk

2FKNLO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For you guys who haven't seen a flow report here's the report of an experiment I tried. Telstar FE inlet valves and double valve springs from the 12 valve engine. The problem was that the springs would bind with any more than standard lift as you can see from the pic

vsprings.jpg

So with my porting, FE inlet valve, Std exhaust valve and Std Cam it gave a theoretical power of 38HP per cylinder or 155HP (from the std cam).

porting-report.jpg

Inlet

intakeport.jpg

exhaust

exhaustport.jpg

The flow bench is a handy tool but it's not what somepeople would have you believe as it only test stedy state not pulsing air flow

^ Interesting!

The guy I use has been really slack with documentation lately but his reports were inferior to your ones. I really like that your guy references everything to the unit of measure etc.

The only thing my guy did that suited me better was to seperate the volume and the velocity figures where (if I am reading it correctly) your flow bench combines the two(?)

I could be full of shit though as it is a long time since I looked at my sheets.

P.S. - well done on the inlet porting!

^ Interesting!

The only thing my guy did that suited me better was to seperate the volume and the velocity figures where (if I am reading it correctly) your flow bench combines the two(?)

Uhhh you've got me a bit confused too :lol:

I didn't think there was any velocity info on there.

I could be full of shit though as it is a long time since I looked at my sheets.

Do you have any scans of them?

P.S. - well done on the inlet porting!

Thanks!

I was pleased that my porting didn't drop too far below the factory port on the inital opening period. As you'd know Ports that have been opended up too much have a slower velocity and this slower velocity kills inital flow.

^ Interesting!

Uhhh you've got me a bit confused too :lol:

I didn't think there was any velocity info on there.

Your guy had included CFM - which I expect is Cubic Feet per Minute so one could determine a crudeish velocity from that I guess. Seeing it ii Feet Per Second along side the Volume of air helps me with considering mid range power and torque.

I don't have any scans but I should dig out the old sheets and scan them later this week for interests sake. My guy hasn't delivered me a shred of paper work in the last four years and two zillion dollars (a bit frustrating)

price your porting for us dude! :twisted:

Depends what you are after....

Do you have a crack tested head?

What valves are you going to run?

Do you want it just cleaned up or fully done?

My recomendations when it comes to the 2L head:

You can waste money and time by going over the top. If you are after a fast street head on a budget leave the exhausts alone and focus on the inlets, cam and induction. The exhausts are relativly large and since the piston is pushing the gasses out porting will only gain you a 10th of the gains that porting the inlet will. That said I still give the short side radius of the exhaust a good reshaping.

For street use and all but hard out racing I leave the valve guides in but reshape them.

Pricing is sorta hard as it depends what you want done just the porting or do you want it ready to put a cam in and bolt on?

Your guy had included CFM - which I expect is Cubic Feet per Minute so one could determine a crudeish velocity from that I guess.

Yep CFM is a measurment of flow referenced to time.... I haven't seen a metric flow bench yet btw.

Seeing it ii Feet Per Second along side the Volume of air helps me with considering mid range power and torque.

Ahh... you are talking area under the curve for about the first 3rd of the graph as a ruff guide line

I don't have any scans but I should dig out the old sheets and scan them later this week for interests sake. My guy hasn't delivered me a shred of paper work in the last four years and two zillion dollars (a bit frustrating)

That would be cool if you could scan them!