Fuel pump meant to be hard to move?

Scrubb

Just got a fuel pump for my 4G32 in my EX, its one of the 3-bolt ones from supercheap,

Is that piece that sits againsed the cam meant to be really hard to move or easy? do I need to take it back or is it fine? I know nothing.. :lol:

Yeah they usually have quite a large spring on it so will be initially hard to move. You can move it a few mm from memory before it starts to get hard to move.

Hang on to your receipt as the experience me and Pete have had with those pumps is they don't last long.

*edit* oh yeah don't forget to read the instructions carefully. If you don't install it exactly right the arm can slip off the cam and then it can snap when the engine turns over. You'll have to remove the distributor to get to the fuel pump too, so make sure you are familiar with setting the timing on the 4G32.

sweet, says that on the instructions I think.

Putting marks on the distributor is a good idea.. did that when the head got done but the marks got rubbed off some how.. which sucked so I think I'll leave it on if I can, if not, make sure it gets marked!

The distributor shaft has a mark to line up with the distributor body. As long as these are lined up when number #1 piston is at TDC you'll be fine. Takes a bit of fiddling though, as when you insert the dizzy the shaft will twist a bit, so line up the marks and take note where the dizzy rotor is pointing, then move the rotor in the opposite way it turns before you re-insert it, basically compensating for it moving when you insert it. Check the rotor is pointing the way it should be.

I just remove the dizzy cause I find it easier to get to. But that was in a FWD Galant with the pump being at the rear of the engine bay, whereas your RWD cars are a bit easier access wise.

Cam -> Is that on your 4G36 or 4G63? If 4G63 it's in a different place than the 4G32.

Car is going again.. smacked the carb with a spanner and it works now :) Someone told me the float could have been stuck..

Might put new fuel pump in anyway but I dunno cuz my bro paid for it..

I dont know about using an electric fuel pump.. sounds like too much effort if u ask me since its going again now on the old pump :)