suspension problem boes

fuel

hey boes.. my mitsubishi is being a typical mitsubishi with problems cropping up haha.

today while coming back from Waihi I noticed a knocking noise coming from the front passenger side suspension when I went over bumps or whenever I turned right.

I jacked the car up with and with the wheel still on grabbing top and bottom of tyre I was able to rock it a few mm whilst making the noise. I took the grease cap off the top of the strut and I couldn't see the top nut move at all while rocking it back and forth, but looking under the car you could see the top of the strut moving. I took the top nut and washer out and all the ball bearings are still there and in place so I'm not sure what to think? I've only just recently replaced front shocks, springs etc and the tophats looked to be in good order when the struts were apart.

Can anyone throw some light on this situation?

Cheers

does it move in all directions or only left-right/front-back. I can imagine it moving when the suspension goes up and down, is everything on the bottom held on properly?

Yeah everything on the bottom is held on sweet, it's just the top of the strut which seems to have movement. I think it is only moving front to back if that makes sense.

I might just pull the strut out and see if I can find the problem then

Haha found the problem boes, after taking out the whole strut found the nut holding the shock insert in was tightish but not tight enough. There must have been shit in the threads binding it up and making it feel tight when it really wasn't.

thanks dudes, hopefully this is my only problem until trackday haha.. cross fingers - it is a mitsubishi afterall