help with gay engine stz

durty

okay, my daily broke down today,

going 100km along motorway and engine just stops, everything else still working, just whirring noise like fuel pump going, no engine, 99% there was still fuel left, battery not flat

pull over, get gas, put more in, just whirring noise and sounds like its cranking but not firing, like engine not turning over but spinning?

thought maybe cambelt, if looking inside oil filler camshafts still turning, oil flowing etc.

BUT if you hold ear near timing belt cover while cranking, you can hear something hitting against cover in time with cranking stz, can also see it move slightly at same time as hear it

all this on a 1993 volvo 850 gle. 2.5L 5CYL DOHC 10 VALVE

advice/whats wrong?

Cambelt could have slipped a few teeth - also the cambelt could be half shredded and part of the cambelt is hitting the cover. Pull of cam cover and check. Is it north-south or east-west setup?

DOHC 10 valve.. haha sounds funky.

Pull off cover to check anyway. It may not be the cambelt and could be something else entirely. Check if all the marks line up when no 1 piston is at TDC. Check that it's getting spark, and check if it's getting fuel in there. If it's all timed up properly, getting spark at the correct time and fuel being injected at the right time surely it should fire.

pics0003.jpg

pics0001.jpg

fuel = got it in one

so anyone know where i stand legally about this, it failed after 10000km, should last 75000km, do i have to fork out to get it redone? i have the details of who did the replacement etc.

Does the cambelt drive the waterpump too?

If so the pump might have siezed causing the belt to shred and you possibly don't have any comback

Yeah, cause surely it'd be hard to stuff up that badly on a cam belt instal? maybe? hopefully?

went and hit them up about it this afternoon, just went in and asked politely,

said they would check it out if i drop it off, wont charge me for it anyway,

no invoice but they are part of mta and said they would try hardest to check it out

pretty sure waterpump does get driven by cambelt but that was replaced at same time as cambelt too so would that make a difference

I had a word to a Volvo Technician about your problem last night.

The waterpump is driven off the cambelt and best practice is to change the pump at the same time as the belt but most techs will give the pump a spin and if the bearings feel good they don't bother as the pumps are a few dollars. It sounds like you have changed the waterpump already so that is good news.

The other likely candidate is the cambelt tensioner - they are known to fail and loose tension suddenly on occasion but another issue can be the way they are tensioned when the belt is changed. The tension is done manually (by hand) and then locked off I think. A genuine Volvo belt comes with a small spacer that is inserted between the tensioner and it's ecentric cam (I think). The spacer serves to prevent the belt falling completely off if the tensioner fails.

Now the bad news - they are an interference engine so it is extremely unlikely that you have not connected a valve with a piston. Sorry mate.

Disclaimer: I was drunk when listening to the above and the prick telling me about it was drunk too so we could be full of shit.

I had a word to a Volvo Technician about your problem last night.

The waterpump is driven off the cambelt and best practice is to change the pump at the same time as the belt but most techs will give the pump a spin and if the bearings feel good they don't bother as the pumps are a few dollars. It sounds like you have changed the waterpump already so that is good news.

The other likely candidate is the cambelt tensioner - they are known to fail and loose tension suddenly on occasion but another issue can be the way they are tensioned when the belt is changed. The tension is done manually (by hand) and then locked off I think. A genuine Volvo belt comes with a small spacer that is inserted between the tensioner and it's ecentric cam (I think). The spacer serves to prevent the belt falling completely off if the tensioner fails.

Now the bad news - they are an interference engine so it is extremely unlikely that you have not connected a valve with a piston. Sorry mate.

Disclaimer: I was drunk when listening to the above and the prick telling me about it was drunk too so we could be full of shit.

cheers man, talked to owner of the workshop that did it today

he reckons it may have been manufacturing fault in the belt, dropping it off at his workshop in next couple of days, if it is that he reckons it should allbe fixed without me paying a cent, heres hoping

depends. usually if you fit parts then you're entering yourself into a semi sort of warranty, thus why there's such a huge emphasis on us buyong best quality shit, not jsut cheapest.

other side of the coin is whther it was a fitment issue, where the mech didn't get it right.

also, it may have only done 10km, but over how long? 3 months is the max warranty I've seen on that kinda thing.

I think that's shocking how some cambelts only have a 20,000kms/12 month warranty. Cambelts are meant to last 100,000kms usually, and even so alot of them are over-engineered to reduce costly failures such as you have endured.

dropped it off tonight, they are looking at it tommorow, then ringing the supplier, then fixing for me, thats what owner of the place reckons

small place with a very good reputation to uphold ftw, will get all business done by him, he knows his shit so well, does heaps of work on old euros