Tell me about T28 with Garrett GT2535 compressor & exhau

Gaz

I know a bit about general turbo sizes but nothing really about moding them , ar's, wheel sizes etc.

Am looking at a Garrett T28 off a GTiR with modified internals utilising the Garrett GT2535 compressor and exhaust wheel.

Just wondering what effects these mods would have on the turbo? I spool and overall power?

Gurus come out. Guessing RT can answer this as he has fiddled with rear housings etc.

GT2535 roller bearing (44lb@min) configured as a GT2535 (roller bearing) - this modification increases the flow rate of each turbo from the stock 25lb per minute to 44lb per minute, equating to a 75% increase in potential air volume. As these come from the Garrett GT series they provide an excellent broad power-band with exceptional good bottom-end (due to the ball bearings lag is marginal) you have much more punch in the mid to high range, suitable for street and track use.

Hope that helps

Haha.

IUts mine.

:twisted::twisted: You after it?

I just not too sure bout it..

Seems weird.. I mean. He says its ball bearing.. He says it is a GTiR turbo orig.

Why not just use an s15 bb t28 rather than spend over 1g to make this one bb?

Are the gtir housings better than the s15 t28 ones? I dont know?

Anyone?

I haven't really fiddled around with different turbo combinations, my hybrid was due to the fact that my friend built it that way..

I'm not really sure about those mods.. sounds weird like you say why not just use a S15 bb T28 eh.. unless he had lots of turbo parts lying around and built a mongrel

Step 1: Drive a car with a really good turbo match.

Step 2: Build a similar car.

A year and a half ago, we drove a very unlikely Sentra. Dubbed the Disco Potato for its unique combination of psychedelic color-shifting paint and unfortunate Jerry Hirshberg styling, the car was the culmination of the clandestine efforts of a few very driven engineers.

The story starts with Dan Passe who, at the time, was a Nissan PR genius with a penchant for bending rules. He conveniently "lost" the paperwork for a 1.8-liter Sentra which Nissan Design International had modified for the L.A. Auto Show. The car quietly landed in the hands of Nissan engineers Steve Mitchell and Mike Kojima.

Meanwhile, a few miles away at Garrett, turbo engineer Jay Kavanagh wanted to boost his Miata. Having full access to the newest Garrett technology, he concocted a physically small turbo with a ball-bearing center section and internal aerodynamics 20 years more modern than the T3/T4 standard the aftermarket is used to.

A few cubicles from Kavanagh, Rob Cadle, a good friend of Mitchell and Kojima, realized Kavanagh's Miata turbo would be perfect for the SR20DET the Nissan boys were planning for the Sentra. He brewed up a turbo, stuffed it under his shirt, and went out the back door.

Jim Wolf Technology built a very mild SR20 for the Sentra, making it functionally equivalent to a stock Japanese-spec SR20DET. The turbo was installed, and amazing things started happening. The car's power was impressive, 280 hp at the wheels, but not earth-shattering. The driving experience however, was. Throttle response was excellent, turbo lag virtually non-existent, and the tire-shredding power was easily modulated. The turbo spooled up early, making so much torque, that the best quarter-mile time (13.7 at 104.5 mph) was achieved launching in second gear.

Mitchell brought the Disco Potato to the Ultimate Street Car Challenge in 2001, and placed an impressive fourth overall. The rest of the time, the car was stashed away in Nissan USA's service garage and used strategically as an attitude adjustment tool. Whenever Nissan or Garret executives needed an injection of gasoline in their veins, they were offered the keys. They would inevitably come back grinning from ear to ear and breathing heavily, eager to bring horsepower to the masses.

There's no telling how many decisions were nudged in the right direction by the Disco Potato, but it did prompt two that are critical to this story. We drove the car for a week, including a 1,000-mile road trip and track day at Thunderhill Raceway. After outrunning every car at the track, and blasting down the freeway at 140 mph, we knew we must have that engine. Ours, however, had to be in a rear-drive chassis. Thus was born Project Silvia.

Several Garret executives also experienced the Potato. They were so impressed, they decided to produce the turbo, double the engineering staff in the aftermarket department, and start applying this modern Garrett technology to a whole range of aftermarket turbos. Technically, this is a GT28R with a 62 trim compressor (.60 A/R) and a 76 trim turbine (.86 A/R), but you don't need to know that. Ask anyone at Garrett for a Disco Potato turbo, and this is what you'll get.