welch/frost plugs. pinto

Guest WESTCORT

Guest WESTCORT

ok so 2 of my 3 plugs had hole sand leaked water. i replaced the 1 on the side of the block but when it came to the one at the bellhousing end i ran into trouble.

i got a 48mm plug and hammered it in, seemed to be sweet. filled it up with water and there was a very slow water leak. is 48mm the right size? ive tried heaps today... 1 7/8 was too small 1 15/16 was too big and 48mm seemed to go in nice but i still got a water leak, but its quite small.

so i pulled the 48mm plug outand put shitloads of instant gasket rubber shit thats rated to 270 degrees and hammered the plug back in. so it didnt leak this time but thats what i expected because of the gasket shit. what i want to know is what size everyone else used and will this gasket shit work or is it gonna get blown out from pressure inside the engine.

cheers

Guest WESTCORT

so if get this magic shlak shit then dump it on the inside and outside, i should be sweet? not goan blow the shlak and give me water runnin out the bellhousin agen? haha

Guest WESTCORT

ok cool, its all clean as thru there since its all be freshly rebuilt, would lick it no worries etc.

so is this shit sort of like a putty? or does it have a rubbery element to it?

Guest WESTCORT

thats what i thought about the 48mm plug BUT my cortina block i got here has a big 48 stamped on its plug. also a 1 and 7/8 wont fit cause its too small and slides in wayyy to easy, and a 1 and 15/16 is too big and wont go in at all. talked to a few different repcos today cause they all say different shit and nobody had anything between a 7/8 and a 15/16. so i duno eh, will go see john at glendene reco tomorrow maybe.

the 48mm fits in quite tight, but theres still a real real small leak. so im guessing this shlak shizz will stop that. how do i apply it? do i press the cap in and then paste it on the outside? or load up the round hole with it and some on the cap and hammer it in.. so hard figuring this shit out when its not exactly a common place problem

Guest WESTCORT

ok sweet, have been using a socket but its hard with the engine in the engine bay to get it perfectly square. might go see a hydraulics place tomorrow aswell and get one thats between 7/8 and 15/16. aparently hydralic places carry heaps of them in all sorts of sizes. cheers for the help so far guys, much appreciated when you go nuts during the day trying to make shit work and it never works out!

48mm is as close as you'd get to in between the metric sizes you've given I think. 1 and 7/8" is 47.6mm and 1 and 15/16" is 49.2mm

Unless you can get them down to 1/64" tolerances in which case you'll want 1 and 57/64" or 58/64"

Fuck not being able to sleep and being bored enough to do stupid imperial conversions :lol: