sigma/l200 gbox clutch flywheel options on vr4

Ke36

was guna put this in the mitsi tech thing but since it got moved no one seems to look there :(

what are the differences in the l200 and sigma gboxes?

same strength?

same mounting points?both fit any 5 speed mitsi gbox xmember, sigma l200, ex, etc

i know the l200 box has the shifter in exactly the rightplace for ex lancer with vr4 motor and the sigma you have to make the hole and inch or so bigger as it sits further back

so im assuming the sigma gbox is slightly longer than than l200 one, meaing you couldnt mix and match them after you get a driveshaft made to suit either?

i assume you can use the same clutch/flyhweel/starter setup on both?wats the best to go with?need a setup so i can have a good clutch thats got some bite to it

am keen on the idea of the l200 as it will be in the right place and i dont want to be reaching further back for the gearstick,plus want to keep my factory surround thing,

have been told the ratios will be shit though, anyone have any idea?

also do i need satrion oil filter mount to clear the engine crossmember?

read somewhere that the vr4 one which mounts the filter paralle to the body gets in the way?

cheers guys

Guest ryong963

hey,

my mate put a sigma box on his 4G63 sigma motor in his EX, and it goes fine. I believe that the L200 has different gear ratios than a sigma box which are more suited for towing etc. (and shit for launching). I'd think the L200 box would bolt up to the X member, but im certain that the sigma box will bolt up, (but yes you do have to cut out a little bit of the tunnel). Also I know that if you use an EX box the clutch doesn't engage with the flywheel properly, so it makes it really slow. the EX driveshaft fitted in fine with the sigma motor and box. Nd yes you should need the oil filter mount, but the best person to ask is carshark on trademe, he knows his starion stuff and VR4 conversions, so he'd be the better one to talk to on that topic. hope that helps

no difference between them apart from the extension housing shifter position.The l200 box has a "non extended ball arm", ie the same as a 1600 EX gearbox etc.Apart from that its the same.L300 gearbox is the same too, just different extension housing once again.

The boxes are the same length its just where the shifter is thats different.So can mix and match without having to change drive shafts etc.All the mitsi boxes are the same length in fact, 5sp the same as 4sp etc.

Ratios are all the same, its just that l200 have a lower ratio diff, thats what makes them lower reving.I think they are around 3.2-3.5s.Ex will be 3.9 or a 4.1 final which is perfect.

And no you dont NEED the starion filter housing but it does make things alittle easier.

thanks for the replies guys

sweet will grab either box i can find then, good to know the ratios in the l200 are the same as that of the sigma one as that box is obviously the better choice as the shifter will go in the exact same position

but would definately have sacrificed shifter position for decent ratios

so with the drive shaft i am able to use my 4 speed one?even if that doesnt work a 5speed one?

is good to know as i may just use my lancer diff for a while before getting a hilux, see how long she takes the punishment :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

ok edited the title

im trying to work out what flywheel, clutch combo to use with my vr4 so i can go buy the stuff for it

im after a good clutch setup as i want to poush some decent horsepower through it, dotn want to put it all in and find its slipping badly

so whats my best option for a flywheel that will bolt onto the 6bolt vr4 engine and work with a l200/sigma box?

i see macarbe is using a l300 one, which he had to slot the starter motor for etc which id rather not go to the effort of doing, and blueex is using a fwd sigma one

if i used a fwd sigma flywheel would i then be able to use a fwd sigma clutch setup?i assum being the turbo version theres a few good clutch opitions for it?or does the clutch setup have to match the gearbox?so in that case i need a l200/sigma rwd sigma setup and a flywheel to suit this

i assume a l200/sigma rwd flywheel wont fit as otherwise this would be the easiest option?

all the clutch setups are the same for the sohc engines, both rwd and fwd. ive heard of ppl using evo4 flywheels, just hav to make i hole for spiggot bearing, and theni guess you can use all the evo clutches.

If i was you though i wouldnt go for a hardout clutch, want to make it the weak point since your using a sigma box and standard diff.Alittle give in the clutch would be good

didnt have to slot the bellhousing actually.

ok cool, thought i read sumwhere you did, my bad :oops:

hows your clutch perform?any slip?

would rather blow boxes now and then than have a slipping clutch

ok so all the l200, and rwd sigma and fwd sigma gsr clutches will be the same

so i could put any of those clutches on any of those flywheels?

so whats the difference in the flywheels?bolt pattern?width? ring gear?

dont know what the difference is with flywheels, the only thing is the bolt pattern, either being 5 or 6 or whatever the difference is.Its not hard to get a flywheel made up, re doweled if ya have too

Sigma gsr fwd flywheel which has spigot bearing hole already in it.

Sigma gsr fwd heavyduty pressure plate.

L 200/ rwd sigma 115mm dia 4 puck button clutch plate

L 200/ rwd sigma release brg.

This all bolts straight up & is nice to drive even with button plate.

yea are things going to get heavy with a cable clutch

or is it much the same feel as a hydraulic

ive driven heavy pplate clutches with hydraulic before but never cable

blueex cheers that sounds good might try something like that

good to know it works rather than guessing etc

where abouts did you buy your clutch plate and presure plate from?

and is ur clutch plate only 115mm diameter than sounds reall small?

Its mint to use with the cable clutch.

Pressure plate came fron the local clutch shop & i had the clutch plate made by auto clutch in auks. The plate is 10mm smaller in diameter than a evo/vr4 this is so that it will fit between the sigma flywheel & p plate