4G32B Engine Rebuild Question...

Scrubb

Hey guys...

My Lancer EX has been sitting in the grass for about 6+ months waiting for an engine rebuild.. it has a 4G32B engine in it and I was gonna be helping my uncle do the rebuild and fix the engine in the car as he's a awesome mechanic.

The car has a head gasket thats probably non existant now lol, something with the valves is fukt, he also thinks there might be blocked jets or something and blah blah..

Anyway.. aparantly he was talking to a guy from Mitsubishi and the guy said that when u rebuild these engines they make alot of smoke and burn alot of oil so he said he's not gonna rebuild the engine anymore.. Was gonna grind the valves and do some head work and stuff he said.. dont remember what else he said he was gonna do.. I remember saying ages ago about piston rings and blah blah.. Was wondering if any of u guys know anyone who has rebuilt these or have rebuilt any yourself and whats the story with what this mitsubishi guy said?

I was kinda hoping for a rebuilt engine as it would be like new but I'm happy with whatever we do to it as long as it runs very smooth and nice and has good power I guess...

Any help or info will be appreciated :)

4g63 conversion. bolts in, and go alot better..... do it.

I've heard the same things, alhough, with the early chaindrive engines...... there was a method to make sure the rings bed in properly, but itrequired a particular brand of ring which I'm sure wont be available anymore.

FWIW: Caboonatlarge's 4g63 has had work done on it at some point in the past, I imagine the lack of balance shafts points to it being at least re-rung, especially given the condition of the engine in general.....

but yuh, in my opinion: just chuck a 4g63 at it. even if you rebuild it.... as you stated, your head gasket's fucked as.... possibly will have a bent head. the cost of a reasonable condiion 4g63 is a nothing in effect

i say buy a 2litre 4g63 motor out of a sigma, buy it with the gearbox, rebuild the motor and drop it in, these go well i did it to my ex, evrything bolts straight up, but you will need to cut the trans hole a little further back

Your ideas are all good guys but my uncles attitude is like "I'm right, you're wrong and we're doing it my way".. I suggested to him we put a 4g63 in but he wont let me.. :lol:

So I have to stick with the engine its got.. so u think it would screw up if we rebuild it? but I dont think thats happening anymore and will it still run as nice without rebuild u think?

Well Pete and I recently rebuilt a 4G37 engine (bigger brother to the 4G32) - we stripped and cleaned the engine, fitted new rings, gaskets and bearings and assembled the engine again all in a weekend.

If definitely didn't smoke after the rebuild, and I'm pretty sure it used very little oil while being run in. The trick is you have to measure all the parts and make sure they are still within spec. There's no use chucking standard sized pistons back in when the bores are quite worn.

Spend a weekend pulling apart the engine (make sure you label everything correctly) clean it all up and measure the bores, crank journal size etc and check if its all within spec still. If not you probably would be better off just finding another running engine.

Seriously the 4G3x series engine is quite simple and there's not alot that can go wrong when rebuilding one of these.

You just gotta have the right tools, patience and preferably a second set of hands.

Yup, my uncle is doing it.. he's an awesome mechanic.. his original idea was to rebuild it but he said he was talking to the guy from mitsubishi and blah blah and then decided againsed it.. he said he'll have a look at the bearings or something and he said might not have to rebuild it.. If I can I want to try to convince him to rebuild it cuz I assume it will be alot better when rebuilt?

I dont know jack about working on cars so I'm looking forward to fixing the engine so I can learn all about it..

Spend a weekend pulling apart the engine (make sure you label everything correctly) clean it all up and measure the bores, crank journal size etc and check if its all within spec still. If not you probably would be better off just finding another running engine.

^^ So if its not to spec then thats when I'd have to get it bored out or something? my uncle said he was gonna hone it originally but I guess he changed his mind..

So really.. what I wanted to know was if he dosnt end up rebuilding it will it still b ejust as good as if we do rebuild it? any advantage to rebuilding?

Thanks for all your info guys!

mitsu suck ass when it comes to the old stuff.They dont want to have anything to do with it and 90% of the guys there dont know jack.All they know is shit that they read on the spec sheet whe a new car comes out.

Take everything they say with a pinch of salt.As fuel has said, they are a peice off piss to rebuild and an excellent engine to learn on.

mitsu suck ass when it comes to the old stuff.They dont want to have anything to do with it and 90% of the guys there dont know jack.All they know is shit that they read on the spec sheet whe a new car comes out.

Take everything they say with a pinch of salt.As fuel has said, they are a peice off piss to rebuild and an excellent engine to learn on.

sweet! Thanks for your input.. I'll have a talk to my uncle and see what he says..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ryong963

hey,

ive just done the same thing to my EX lancer. it goes really well, really quick for what it is, really and i mean really good on petrol (if you drive it right). My ones giving me crap at the moment doing this stupid clicking thingie, but I have my suspicions that it's the balance shafts. These things are a waste of time and take power out of your car. I dont know much about removing them, but there are plenty that do. they do have their 'teething problems' so expect to lose little bits of oil etc while everything beds in. If you need some help just e-mail me ryongallagher@hotmail.com i've heard having the carb re-built/new 1 makes them go way better, but if you want it to be quicker there are plenty of things to do to them without it costing an arm and a leg.

If you live in chch I can show you how everythings done

hey,

ive just done the same thing to my EX lancer. it goes really well, really quick for what it is, really and i mean really good on petrol (if you drive it right). My ones giving me crap at the moment doing this stupid clicking thingie, but I have my suspicions that it's the balance shafts. These things are a waste of time and take power out of your car. I dont know much about removing them, but there are plenty that do. they do have their 'teething problems' so expect to lose little bits of oil etc while everything beds in. If you need some help just e-mail me ryongallagher@hotmail.com i've heard having the carb re-built/new 1 makes them go way better, but if you want it to be quicker there are plenty of things to do to them without it costing an arm and a leg.

If you live in chch I can show you how everythings done

Thanks for all your input guys..

I live in Te Awamutu (near Hamilton) in Nrth Island so its a bit hard for ya to show me :P

My uncle has decided he's only gonna pull the head off and fix the valves then replace the gasket so I'll let u guys know what happens.. He said it will be done in the next few weeks.. thats what he said 6+ months ago haha