Diff ratio.

danger

IMO: 5:1-ish. most rotary stuff seems to run near these ratios, esp for drag cars (you'll be running a large sidewall for increased traction... low tyre pressures.... blah blah blah) so 5:1 or lower would be the go. a common rotary ratio is around 4.6:1, these go mint with most stuff, so a lower ratio with the larger rear wheel/tyre combo giving a bigger rolling circumference

Cheers guys, Its kind of difficult to gauge as I'm building it on the cheap utilising any bargains that come along,

I wanna build the chassis first so I think I'll just go hunt down a diff housing at this stage so I can get onto the 4link.

Are all hilux diff heads universal? Can I just go get a cheap hiace housing and get a good lsd unit to fit it later?

Can I just go get a cheap hiace housing and get a good lsd unit to fit it later?

Nope. There are a few differant ones. I dunno how to tell but id def do some google homework first.

I have a hiace housing that doesnt fit my hilux LSD head. I also have one that does... go figure!

Are all hilux diff heads universal? Can I just go get a cheap hiace housing and get a good lsd unit to fit it later?

Yeah, google toyota diff codes. I've never bothered to look it up but there are codes for the diff, 'f' for example and all the heads with fit into that diff. Then there are certain codes stating if if it is lsd etc. Hiaces, crowns, hiluxs, and even some cressidas and supras may all have a suitable diff so that will help you come across one for cheap.