Doing Tappets

peteretep

So im doing the tappets on my mitsubishi galant which has a 4g37 engine

I've tried setting it 3 times already and its still fucking loud, although it is getting more erratic, eg at idle half the time it taps and the other half it sounds all good

I've been doing exhaust at .2mm and inlet at .1mm, I think its my method but I'm about to give up and pay someone else to do it, any more advice?

the engines done 410,000kms 8)

Guest kornstar
wont it be the hydraulic lifters making the noise? very common mitsi prob.

yeah i was gona say that, i have that problem at the moment = fucking gay noise thats to expensive to get newer ones, no damage anyway.

yeah its a right bugger, went to several mechanics today to ask if they could do them/ give me any advice, most of them told me it was a big job that would require several hours to do... idiots

Not idiots, thieving bastards thinking you were and idiot and wanted to charge you at least 4 times what it should.

Be carefull that you don't over tighten them, to tight will mean the valve never seats properly and it can't transfer the heat to the valve seat like it's designed to.

yeah theiving bastards for sure, most of them were indians so what more would you expect, had to explain to a couple of them what tappets/lifters were because their english was so bad

I don't think I've tightened them too much, I can still get the feeler gauge under all of them - just, but I think thats how close you need to be

Haha that's a good sure sign to walk away from them and take it to a mechanic who knows at least what tappets are :P

Seriously it doesn't take too long to get the hang of doing them, certainly nothing to take it to a mechanic for anyway.

I don't think I've tightened them too much, I can still get the feeler gauge under all of them - just, but I think thats how close you need to be

If they are too tight you should notice as it wont idle as it should. I usually just run 'em on the noisy side.... but I'm a bogan :lol:

now it doesn't idle? ... pete what are you doin to it? :P

It's definitely the tappets making that noise? And not anything else like the mechanical fuel pump?

Just set the tappets to 0.10mm for intake and 0.20mm for exhaust and it should idle fine and shouldn't be too noisey.