fuel

L0WMK2

I always run 98,it's a prick on anything lower.plus i find BP's stores&locations alot better.

I'v always used valvemaster(or equal brand),Flashlube sell the stuff in 5ltrs.

after spending some $$$ on the Avengers head, and being car-less over that time it's cheap insurance.

marsden point doesn't supply much.

alot comes into new plymouth ports I understand.

ever seen those big cunting tank farms in port towns etc? them = stockpiles

Basically all of our fuel comes from Marsden Point or BP's Perth Plant, with relatively small fuel coming in off the "spot" market.

As a general rule, if you have a deep water port with fuel handling facilities, you will generally get BP's fuel, if the port is serviced by the Coastal Tankers, then it comes from Marsden Point.

Marsden Point services Auckland, which probably uses the most fuel in the country...so I cant see how Marsden Point doesnt supply much :oops:

Not only that, but I think they have finally upgraded Marsden Point so it can supply, the newer fuel requirements for the up and coming low emissions requirements, so there is really no reason that most of the fuel refining requirements for the country probably couldnt come out of Marsden Point. Its my understanding that it was the non-upgraded plant that was the reason we were bringing gas in from Perth, and it was BP that didnt want to spend the money on Marsden Point for the upgrade....sorta a vicious circle really.

As for octane boosters...check exactly what they are doing.

Generally a car that is pinking, is crying out for an increase in the MON count not the RON count.

The MON count is similar to the RON, count but the fiqure is generally around 10 less than the RON numbers, a lot of octane boosters claim to increase the RON count, but some of them dont do too much for the MON count, and your pinking will persist regardless of how much octane booster you add.

There's been at least one article on how effective Octane Boosters were, done by FF&R's....and some of them were basically snake oil. :(

If you are involved with a Car Club, try and get one of the fuel company's engineers out for a clubnight, its usually really interesting and you will learn a heap about fuels and oils.

We have had guys out from both Shell and BP for the MREC clubnights, and while they will obviously promote their companies product, they will generally give honest opinions about known products across the market.

If you are involved with a Car Club, try and get one of the fuel company's engineers out for a clubnight, its usually really interesting and you will learn a heap about fuels and oils.

We have had guys out from both Shell and BP for the MREC clubnights, and while they will obviously promote their companies product, they will generally give honest opinions about known products across the market.

Do one for lower north BMW club darryl, I'd be keen to come down and listen.

In the mini 91.

In the Capri 95,96 or if avail 98

Put 91 in the Capri a month ago. Man it ran shit. It's a low comp head but even so, I got overheating, more oil leakage, water even leaked from otherwise fine hose attachments. It sounds rediculous but it happened. As soon as I got down to a 1/4 tank I topped up with 98. Now its back to normal. Never do that again. Original 1974 Car manual says to use 97 anyway

Used to use Flashlube but gave up about 4 years ago. It's just a pricey waste of time. As someone else mentioned, none of us here actually expect our heads to last another 100,000kms without needing some sort of headwork. And hell, with the money you've spent you could probably buy a new head after a couple years anyway.

different brands have different additives, while a bp and a shell tanker may both fill up from a marsden point tank, each company has its own additives.

which is why you can feel the difference between brands

a lot of octane boosters do fuck all, note advertised 6 points on the bottle means 0.6 note 6. so 91 goes to 91.6....

interesting obseravtion made recently on a caldina turbo, octane booster increased EGT by 50 degrees.

i cant tell any differnece between BP or mobil 98.

iv noticed a massive difference between shell 95 and mobil 95, mobil being waaaay better (ae101 levin)

when i had my XA falcon i had major starting issues in the winter with shell 96.

on a late model hipo car running 98 often proves cheaper than running 95 or 91

My car's far from a late model hipo car (hahaha, the thought of it) but I find it costs about the same to run it on 95-98 than 91ish mostly because of the timing. It pinks hard up hills with shitty gas in it.

Guest kornstar

yeah tru that,, its cheaper to run 98 bp than 95, i get more k's out of it.

thats in a 96 v6 tt.