Pinto pistons and rods etc

Josh

Well I just got me a new fuel injected pinto turbo and its setup with turbo pistons and 205 rods etc now and will run at 15psi "reliably". But before I put it in the capri im thinking il replace the pistons and rods with forged items.

Questions is, where can I get these and how much etc etc, any info on them thanks :D

wow did u end up paying the asking price? personally i thort it was a bit steep but i spose it saves a bit ov time buying it all done. good luck. i use cosworth pistons with 205 rods and hav no probs.i hav run as much as 25psi. i wouldnt trust that standard headgasket tho. get a cometic one.

Dont bother replacing pistons and rods as its not that simple.

Just run it how it is for now and run on a conservative 10psi. Should handle that if the compression is what he says. Remember, you wont be usedd to all that extra power so wanna get used to it first. If you want to up the boost alot later then go forged.

To do forged pistons and rods plus pay someone to put them in and check all clearances etc again will cost ya over 2g. Not worth it unless ya do it yourself and get good price on parts.

I disagree, if you have the money then forged would be a good option. You say it has 'turbo pistons' whats that mean? there are no such thing as turbo pistons. They must be factory ones with a shave?

either way, the cast pistons are shit. And what kills most turbo engines are kids can't keep their fingers off the boost tap. So.. you're gonnna wind it up sooner or later and if a cast one breaks it will ruin your block.

So.. if it's out of the car and you have the coin then get some forgies.

Do it once do it properly remember? :wink:

just get cosworth rods and pistons or you could use i think its LD28 nissan rods but then you need to get some machining done if i was you id do it now while the engine is out atleast that way if u wanna make more grunt later your not worrying about reliability

I disagree, if you have the money then forged would be a good option. You say it has 'turbo pistons' whats that mean? there are no such thing as turbo pistons. They must be factory ones with a shave?

The guy said they are 'Mahl' pistons. I think perhaps cossie replacement items.

just get cosworth rods and pistons or you could use i think its LD28 nissan rods but then you need to get some machining done if i was you id do it now while the engine is out atleast that way if u wanna make more grunt later your not worrying about reliability

Cosworth rods are 205 rods so he already has them in the engine. I wouldnt be surprised if by turbo pistons the guy also means cossie pistons.

i thought it would of been ok to run the 205 rods with the forgies? instead of gettin forged rods as well..

Yeah I dont think ya need forged rods unless you are thinking of big boost/power. You could get them stress releived and treated to make them a bit stronger. Rods are usually round $900

sorry but cosworth uses different rods to the sohc pinto 205. cosworth are about 60thou longer than sohc 205 rods. they look lighter too. ie if u use standard cossie forgies then they will stop 1.5mm before the top of the block at tdc. they do share the same small end bore tho. and mahel is the brand of standard yb cossie forgies.

yeah cosworth rods are not 205 rods.. neither are the pistons. Totally different.

Mahl.. but cast... hmm...

1. they are Mahl forged pistons..

2. they are some sort of hepolite cast piston..

3. he is full of shit and they are factory pinto pistons with a skim to lower the compression.

I'd be guessing the latter.

205 rods are fine with big boost and big power. Neither of which affect rods at all.

What kills rods is REVS.

205 rods are better but still not that great.. they will take anything you give them under 6500rpm. If you want to rev higher.. ie, if you have a big turbo and doesn't make boost until 5,000rpm then you want something else.

Josh you don't 'forge' them mate.. you BUY forged pistons.

Yearp. But then the cossie DOHC heads would also have differant chamber sizes so exactly what you drop is unknown without cc'ing the head and a few calcs. Also the deck height of the actual block can change this aswell.

I would think cossie items to be expensive as they are.

If I was to do it I would just used forged pinto pistons or holden pistons (depending on the bore you wish to use) and 205rods. Then drop the compression via the champers in the head.