Coldturkeys 1972 Datsun 240C

510WGN

Last nights progress - nothing visual but mechanical progress was outstanding..

The Colonel has been runing a little rough lately - can't make its mind up whether to run on 4, 5 or 6 cylinders.

Pulled the s/plugs out found all kinds of crazy temps/detonation/build ups on the electrodes, so I chucked a new set of plugs with points and condensor at it.. tested again runnning smoothish but not brilliant, so checked timing - total mech advance (without vacuum) 50 degrees - WTF :shock: with vacuum 65 degrees total!!!! :shock::shock:

Pulled distributor apart found missing one spring of the advance weights, (thanks to UJ I fitted an old Cortina advance spring - urgh.. FORD!! :( ) cleaned and greased bushes etc and chucked back in.

Final specs - initial timing 7.5 degrees, total mechnical advance (without vacuum) 20 degrees, total with vacuum 35 degrees.. FTW thank you very much!!

End result - a car that accelerates like fucking MADNESS (like I was blown away and I can feel every singfle one of those factory 130 horsies) and no more detonation, hard acceleration is now smooth as, light throttle a little miss every so often -Will replace coil with GT40 tonight and see if that fixes the light throttle.

Me = shiny glee, and caffeine makes me feel happy.. :D

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Added some fun mods to the pig - it has increased torque and throttle response - but has taken away a bit of the low end smoothness (that could be due to me having a shitty motor at the moment) but I am playing with all the settings and piston oil etc to see if I can improve the issues.. (edit - I got told someone wasnt sure what I had done - so its had twin SU carbs fitted)

p2030271yg2.jpg

p2030272th1.jpg

I was looking through the build thread from the original owner on the Datsun website and think it is cool to compare how the visions were then to how it is now..

I'm so glad that everyone who has owned it more or less has the same vision for it and it is finally getting what it deserves now..

Before

WP230onWatanabes-01.jpg

Imagined

240C_Wats_02copy.jpg

Actual

p2050274ob2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Started an engine change last wednesday - currently engine is out and parts have been changed over to donor engine - goes back in this week coming.. (and yes in case you were wondering - we all rule at air guitar - jeah - Wyld Stallions stz)

p4200682.jpg

p4200685.jpg

p4200688.jpg

p4200690.jpg

p4200692.jpg

Engine went in last week as per my thread - Thursday night was roadtest night and it all went well, spent 3 hours Friday afternoon tuning and making sure everything was A-OK.

Saturday morning left for Taupo after driving a total of 15km on motor swap.. All went well till around Levin and the throttle started sticking slightly, got a little worse the rest of the way but made it with heaps of power to spare.

Sunday drove back to Wellington and it seemed to get worse with the throttle sticking more and more (not bad - would sit at 2000rpm in neutral and with the foot off the throttle) The worst problem was this caused a hunting type symptom which made me paranoid - never to mind - got back to Wellington late Sunday night.

Monday night I checked it all and traced to the front carb sticking a little - stripped both carbs and cleaned them - straightened a mildly bent throttle spindle on the front carb - no dice.. tinkered with various throttle pieces and finally fixed it - not sure how but I think it was the throttle linkage was just a bit too tight, it seemed to work best after backing everything off and just nipping up all adjustments till the play was almost gone.

Driven around 60Km today and its performing beautifully excepting a slight hesitation just coming off idle - I set the idle at 650rpm last night but bumped it up to 750rpm just now and will see if that helps the slight hesitation.

No point doing photos - looks identical to how it did before - just with different engine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Right. So on the 25th of August 2012 I flew up to Wellington and obtained this machine in exchange for a wad of cash. Pretty sure a tear was shed as I pulled out of the wellington boe's lockup (after initially putting it in reverse by accident and re-entering the lockup). A quick glimpse at the sticker next to the gearshift and I was on my way.

Waiting for the ferry.

20120825_140010.jpg

Stopped off in Chch for the night, next morning went to a vacant dattochriswagon house and picked up some stuff,

20120826_094122.jpg

This is the OS approved method of moving a 6cyl engine. Not pictured is the rest of the stuff.. and there was a LOT of it.

20120825_135917.jpg

So now the slow process of patching up the panels begins. Wont be any progress till the coming monday though.

Im going to baremetal the boot area, and most likely POR15 it. Probably to the digust of some people, but I personally love the stuff.

The rest will probably be just have some rangi mis-matched paint for a while. Just how I like it. Im the kind of guy that doesnt care overly about having a super flash paint job, as long as I know whats underneath is solid enough. (Just like how I dont care that I have tools all over the floor of my garage, as long as its clean.)

On the engine front...its using a lot of oil, probably leaking it out of somewhere. Have ordered some gaskets, cam seals, etc to hopefully fix most of it. Probably replace valve seals aswell. Also, even though it actually goes real well, I dont reckon the carbs are quite right so I'll see if I can sort that.

I want to get it a little bit lower, theres heaps of 'opportunity' in the rear, but the front is not very slam friendly. Might see if I can get another 10-20mm out of it and may just have to settle for that.

Hopefully all this stuff will be finished a.s.a.p as I definately want to do some summer wagoneering.

Found a parts car!

Its actually pretty much complete sans motor and gearbox. Has mint interior...except its dark blue :pukeleft: Also, somewhere along the way someone decided it was a good idea to sew sheepskins to the vinyl seat :doubt:

Picking it up on Monday. Oh yes.. it is a geniune 240c, so it has the right grill etc.

20120904_175852.jpg