4G37 head on 4G32?????

Guest seriour

Guest seriour

does it bolt on? will it give lover compression?? and will it work with twin 40mm sidedrafts. im recoing my 4g32 but i can get either a 4g32 head or a 4g37 one. i heard there is a head you can put on to lower compression???????

does it bolt on? will it give lover compression?? and will it work with twin 40mm sidedrafts. im recoing my 4g32 but i can get either a 4g32 head or a 4g37 one. i heard there is a head you can put on to lower compression???????

lower compression.. why would you wanna dude?

you're clearly goin n/a with the sidedrafts. you'll be wanting high comp, max flow to make the most of them!

• 4 years later...

*bump*

how about a 4g32 head sitting on a 4g37 block? will the piston hit the valves?

im running on a 4g37 but i have damaged the 4g37 head so i want to use my spare 4g32 head.

im not sure if the pistons will hit the valves or will have hi or low compression.

what i have done so far is fit in the 4g32 head(without the valves) to the 4g37 block and rotate the crank pulley. so far no problem. but im not sure if i try it again with the valves on. Hoping it would not be hitting each other.

Thanks!

the issue is that the 4G32 has a smaller combustion chamber size (as well as smaller diameter valves, smaller port sizes) and the pistons are flat-top (usually) while the 4G37 has a large combustion chamber and dome-top pistons.

Given that a 4G37 head on a 4G32 massively lowers the CR from say 9:1 to 6-7:1 I would say even if the pistons and valves didn't make contact the CR would increase from 9:1 to beyond 11:1.

detonation for starters, you would have to run a very wild cam to make the most of that CR. But the main issue at hand here is that the 4G32 valves and ports will be smaller - what's wrong with just finding another 4G37 head? they are easy to find, they were in Sigmas, Galants, Chariots, Tredias, Cordias etc.

well its an issue here in PI. 4g37 are not common here. we only have 4g33,4g32 and 4g63 that came in lancers and galants 78-87.

well im not into too much performance, and tends to have it used as a daily driver with enough power when needed. would you suggest a go signal for this?

4g63 is another option, probably after marriage. LOL.

:)

while the 4G63 will drop in the 4G37's place it will also make more power/torque and has the scope to produce more power as well - I have a soft spot for the old 4G37 but not many people modify them because their design just doesn't really like to rev, the rods and crank are far heavier than what they need to be and the factory cam is very conservative with its duration and lift.

also where is 'PI'?

with a 4G32 head just slapped onto a 4G37 block untouched you're going to run into massive drivability issues - that is assuming the head combustion chamber and valves don't occupy the space of the piston domes when at TDC. On my old 4G37 when it blew a head gasket I had the head reconditioned which was skimmed a little bit in the process. Before the head gasket blew I had 185psi even across all four cylinders with the standard 9.5:1 CR and with the head skimmed (am unsure how much they took off, it was a minimal amount anyway) the compression figures were well above 200psi on all cylinders with one peaking at 225psi, so I would only assume the CR was raised to close to 10:1 or perhaps slightly above, and even then I had issues with the engine pinking through the rev range and I had to retard the ignition timing slightly and run on the highest octane fuel we had here.

What car is this 4G37 in?

well it sits on my 1987 lancer. the lancer originally should have 4g32/33 but it has the 4g37 when i bought it. *weird*

the head combustion chamber of the g32 is slightly smaller than the 37 but do not have the kidney shape... i have yet to test if the valves will not hit the piston but will do one of this days.