excorts mk2 - NO FLAMING, discussion only, including me!

atropine

cheers yeah its comeing along im proberly guna hold off on the turbo set up for now need to sort out dif etc to actually take the power the carbs have been jetted for the engine by esslenger so hopefully they wont rattle out but if they do at least ill know wats going on they were running on a n/a pinto rather highly workd same pistons as mine etc and was makeing 210hp which is pretty decent i dont exspect anything near that as i haveing changed the compression but i didnt caurse i wasnt sure if i was guna go n/a or turb need to get my ass in to gear and find a engine hoist to trial fit it so i can work out how to cut the crossmember then it will be all go from there :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers yeah its comeing along im proberly guna hold off on the turbo set up for now need to sort out dif etc to actually take the power the carbs have been jetted for the engine by esslenger so hopefully they wont rattle out but if they do at least ill know wats going on they were running on a n/a pinto rather highly workd same pistons as mine etc and was makeing 210hp which is pretty decent i dont exspect anything near that as i haveing changed the compression but i didnt caurse i wasnt sure if i was guna go n/a or turb need to get my ass in to gear and find a engine hoist to trial fit it so i can work out how to cut the crossmember then it will be all go from there :)

im in chch mate so just come and grab my engine hoist its only taking up room at the moment

text me if you want it on 0273160036.

that goes to any other boes in chch

dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Engine looks good as in there, nice work. I wouldnt worry about the engine being a bit tight at first thats good lol. About 500k's youll notice it alot freeier and by 1000 it will be completly free.. Well my 3 have been anyways.

What did they do o the engine for $2500? Is that not put togther also?

Whats the ticking noise when its running in vids?

Did you not run your cam in on that first start?

Gaz

they basicly bored it out balanced everything shot peened rods etc but no they didnt put it together i did the ticking noise im abit unsure it sounds like a bottem end knock but its continuous im thinking it may be the sump hitting the xmember i set the cam timeing to tdc if thats what you mean if not ive proberly done something wrong which would really suck the tappets were set really tight so im thinking maybe thats the ticking noise the engine was rather noisey tho which i dont like ..... but it quitend down after the second time i started it

Thats an expensive balance as balance :mrgreen:

Do you run an aftermarket cam? If so you were suposed to run it in, 15mins or so at around 3000RPM constant (depending on cam)

I would take rocker cover off and check cam lobes.

Ticking not good aye, should def find out what that is, would hate to see $2500 engine go goodbye :(:(:(

ah yeah well i didnt know bout that but i did hold it at somewhere around 2500 rpm for a fair while b4 it would idle the engine actually cost me alot more than $2500 lol id say more around the 5000 if you look on my thread it tells you all the cam specs etc the head cost $2000 to get done now that was profesionaly put togeather i just bolted it on had all the wearing in grease on it etc some one told me that the tapets were set rather tight there is some tapping noise's in the head and i could hear one down below when i got under the car but i think its comeing from the gearbox well it sounds like it is the tapping noise in the bottem was there from the first start i think maybe somethings hitting something in the sump or gearbox i may have to pull her apart again :( its up to 170psi on all 4 now

well ive taken the rocker cover off the cam looks sweet theres alittle bit of wear but its smooth as i think the tappet clearances havent been set proper i was told it was all set up already but obveously i was stupid to beilive them ive been told you check the clearance between the cam lobe and rocker i carnt fit anything between them at all so id say thats the tapping noise comeing from the top ive emaild the place that done my head for the clearance's that it should be but they arnt emailing me back it siad on the cam sheet that had set something to .003 tho or something i carnt even fit .004 under there....

Id keep a really close eye on that cam, pull the cover off again after 100k's etc, they really need running in which is prob too late for now.

Also the noises sound bad, id def be pulling your engine down to find noise. If it has been balanced and something in the sump (prob crank) is hitting somewhere then it could wear down and there wouldnt be as much point of it being balanced. If it is coming from the sump it could also be the oil pickup hitting the side of the sump (if it was sleaved rather than cut and a peice added in then it gets very very very close.) Bit hard to tell without seeing I guess.

Um also tappets.. If it is supposed to be 30tho then of course you wont get the 40tho feeler guage in lol, 40 is bigger than 30..

When I build my engines I run them in on a standard head that I know works before changing to the aftermarket head/cam combo.. Ensures the engine will run right bottom end wise.

Might go check out ya specs now. :mrgreen:

the oil pickup was sleeved ill be pullining it apart soon i think i confused you with the tappet clearance i meant .003 well it says .03 on my feeler gauge but thats in mm and its like paper thin i read something which siad not to let the engine idle on its own for the first 15mins which i didnt i keepd the revs up i think the engine will be fine once the clearances are set properly and i work out wats going on below well hopefully is there anyone in chch that would be willing to stop by and have a look ? i have no contacts in the motoring world it really sucks