diffs

RT

So I ripped out my diff tonight for the new Atlas V6 one..what a strange situation when I actually had a good look at my old one it appears very similar to my Atlas V6 diff.. in fact it is an atlas diff. :shock:

I was sure the Atlas (loads from the rear) only came out in V6 models..

the both load from the rear, they have the same axle thickness and the

same driveshaft flange. The V6 one had bigger drum brakes on it, inside

the shoe pads are 50mm longer and 7mm wider.

The MK1 also has tramp rods rather than my swaybar and is 40mm shorter in length but the spring mounts are in the same position. I guess this means I can run wider tyres :)

The length of the diff head is also the same, and looks the same too. Even

the brake hose is the same which is odd.. since my MKII is metric and

MK1's are imperial.

These are the markings I could find for the MK1 V6 diff:

[3.22 tag]

11714023 1634 DA

+OF+

M

and on my MKII 2L diff:

[3.44 tag]

11714023 340S 1634 KF

Now I don't know what all this means.. but its strange as it looks like I

had an Atlas in my capri all along.. but the ratio isn't V6 and the brakes

are smaller. Can anyone else with a MKII Capri verify that they have the same?

diff14vb.jpg

diff42qe.jpg

your ratio will be on a wee tag on one of the bolts on the rear cover at the top.

The numbers are in on the flat section to the right of the driveshaft flange.

I'm a bit confused on the diffs at the moment.. I thought only V6's had an atlas axle. Is your Capri a GT model?

I am pretty sure that all MK2 and MK3 Capris have Atlas diffs, just 52" wide rather than the narrow MK1 Atlas.

The 3.44 ratio is 2ltr Capri.

The small MK1s had English. There is even a version of the atlas on the HD MK3 Cortina. Note, the HD bit is very important - export grade. This axel is identical, except for the suspension mounts, and brake drum flange. It's a good source of 'other (3.75)' ratios. The MK4 and 5 Cortinas do not have this HD axle.

yeah so far that seems to be the concensus.. see even though I assumed mine had a shitty english axle I did check at one stage at a glance. It was so encrusted with 30 years of grime that it 'looked' like an english. duh!

My new diff is 2 inches narrower being a 50" rather than the 52"

This means my existing wheel/tyre will look gay. Unless I get some wider tyres to fill this gap. I had extra room in the guard already.. about and inch.. so now I will have about 2 inches spare room. So I could probably get some 235's or 245' x 15's under there.

The spring brackets are in the same place.. but I don't think my tramp rods are going to work as I'd planned.. as the chassis rails are going to be too far apart.

• 2 weeks later...

just thought id let you know my Mk1 (facelift) which is basically a Mk 2 doesnt have an atlas. just a normal pop out the front job. I didnt think atlas diffs were very much stronger than standard, but they do seem to be pretty tough, look kinda puny though. im replacing mine with an 8" falcon v8. id shit my pants if that broke...

they are heaps stronger than the english axle, once fitted with an quaife LSD it can cope with 300+hp at the wheels.

8" Falcon diff is great too though, my mate has one in his capri. Poor ratios and alot heavier however. But you do get the watts linkage on most models.

hi guys just want to straighten sumthin out a ford 8in is not a falcon diff. what u are refering to is a xw-xf borg warner 78 series diff which loads out the back like an atlas. it came out in all falcons bar GTs and some higher spec v8s which had a 9in. the '78' also came out in aussie 6 cyl cortinas. they came out in 2.77- 3.5 ratio the latter being a ute diff. though im sure you can buy aftermarket ratios for them up to 4.33.

a ford 8in is an early mustang and medium passenger sized car diff it is essensially the same as a 9in has the same axles and splines the '8' or ;9'in comes from the size of the crown wheel carrier the 9in being 9inches in dia. im pretty sure that the '78' also came out in 90s commonwhores in which the 2.0 litre vn 4cyl had 4.11 4 spider ratios . the '78' is plenty strong and has an lsd option can also buy spools and mini spools for higher hp applications.

dave