3Y engine question

v3k

Hey people, Im looking at getting an 84 hiace (surf trip) and it has a 3y in it. It coughs and splutters when its cold (feels like very rich and exhaust pops when it splutters) but APPARENTLY runs fine when warm.

What do you people know about these engines, and how would one go about tuning the carb?

Also, the fuel guage and engine temp doesnt work (in dash) are they easy to fix?

Any imput would be excellent

Also, the fuel guage and engine temp doesnt work (in dash) are they easy to fix?

that depends on if it is the guage, wires or sensor... sensor or guage should be as simple as ringing a wrecker, getting a "new" one and screwing it in. Wire would be a pain, but it seldom is the wire

Speaking from experience...................................

The dashes are NOT easy to fix. They are real fucking bitches. Uses printed circuit boards and whatnot, and are very easy for them to get hairline cracks in the tracks. Would be helluva lot easier to get a new dash.

As for the carb, might be just the auto choke sticking - try adjusting it so it comes off sooner. If it's running rich it'll be spewing black smoke. On the other hand, it could be running too lean because the chokes not working.

And with regards to knowing about the engines in general, I own two 3Ys, and my dad used to own one so I'm pretty clued up about them. They're not a revver by any means, nor are they a powerhouse, but with proper care they'll do hundreds of thousands of kms. I've heard of them doing over 1,000,000km with just the regular servincing!! Nothing major done to them either.

Mine has 270,000km on it, and is going like it had 000000ks on the clock, and my dads one had 350,000 on it when it was sold, and we still see it around today - we sold it some 6 years ago.

just find a replacement instrument pannel from a wreckers...

Good luck with that!! Won't have a hope, thats why i kept my spare and I'm lucky I did because I had the same problem not so long ago. One of the main computer boards for it was shot. The cheapest replacement dash I could find was about 600 dollars + GST.

Just add on an aftermarket temp gauge dude.

Don't be in such a hurry to replace the guage, check the wire connection at the sender end first and check the sender itself, if it's neither of those, THEN think about changing the guage.

You'll find it's in the dash. Thats where they most commonly cark themselves. Too advanced for their time :)