Engine idle pulsing then struggles

Guest WESTCORT

Guest WESTCORT

My engine pulses nicely most of the time but every now and then it will pulse fine and then sort of chugg a bit doesnt loose more than say 200 rpm but it soon catches up again and pulses fine.

What i wanna know is if this is normal or are my idle jets a bit fucked...

I know that pp rotors sort of do the same thing pulse nicely then fall behind and catch up if you know what i mean but then again my engine isnt a rotor now is it ;)

does your engine have a hot cam? the corty has a huge drag race cam of 580lift by 310 duration . it is very choppy at idle but will idle for a while when it gets hot it will stumble somtimes and just about stop. then it will clear itself and pulse along nicley at 1100rpm. i think that most engines with a big cam will run a bit rich at idle and this can foul the plugs a little causeing the stumble.

Guest jomojojo

If you do not have a modified engine then it sounds like a vacuum leak is the most likely culpret. If not then it is at least the cheapest and easiest option/solution to rule out.

get a can of engine start and spray it at close proximity onto the sides of your carburettor and vacuum lines.

Obviously dont spsry it into the engines air supply as this will defeat the purpose. Listen out for your engine revs rising, try and pinpoint the lovation by spraying the engine start carefully at selected areas.

common vacuum leaks are arround the face where trhe carburettor and intake manifold meet and perished vacuum lines.

Guest WESTCORT

has been doing it the whole time.

the cam is very lumpy, the lumpiest i could get without putting chambers in the pistons for the valves. 290 duration and 384 lift from memory.

sounds alot like yours sycov6 same sorta deal like it clears itself and then runs fine.

The engine is pretty much fully worked after a fresh rebuild.

so its nothing to worry about? my fear was that the idle jets might have been too small and were starving the engine of gas eveery now and then? I rebuild the carb also but havent replaced jets or anything

yeah sounds the same. ive actually opened the secondaries on my carb a small amount to let a bit more air flow as i was finding i had to wind the idle up past the idle jets to get it to run . which made it worse by the way. by opening the secs i can wind back the idle screw back to useing the idle circuit rather than the intermediate one. which makes the idle alot more consistant all be it still very lopey