distributor installation troubles

Guest WESTCORT

Guest WESTCORT

ok so was putting the dizzy back in to the block along with the new rubber round seal thingy and it does NOT want to fit right in. its like the rubber ring is too big or something because it fits fine without the ring. I couldnt force it in with my strength or my hammer so i wanted to know if anyone else who has recently rebuilt their xflow had a similar problem with putting hte dizzy back in after replacing the seal? im guessing they must have given me one thats too big or sumthing, i have no clue

Haha yea I just used the original one too, couldnt work out what it was for, but then realised awhile later :oops: lol oh well, havent had any problems with it. :P

But have you ever noticed how often they give you the wrong part. Like when I got all the bearings and stuff for the pinto, they gave me .005" oversize thrustwashers, when clearly they were standard :?

Thats not the only experience ive had like that either...

Guest Eddie W

O rings come in different section thicknesses. It wouldn't surprise me if the wrong thickness found it's way into a g/set. It should sit ONLY JUST proud of the body. I think it is there mainly to seal against crankcase pressure and possibly some oil splash from the oil pump drive etc. Use the old one if it's not too hard or try Vaseline on it.

Eddie

Guest WESTCORT

yeah problem is i cut the old one out to put the new one in haha ive tried oiling the hell out of it and still no joy...

might try using a cable tie like a ring compressor is used and slotting it in