283 chev

R100

theres nothing wrong with a 283 they are no less or more reliable than any other chevy smallblock v8 they are essentially the same as a 350 most parts are interchangeable. the 283 just has a smaller bore and stroke. 2nd hand motors are a bit cheaper than the very popular 350. they can make good power and will rev a bit harder than a 350. its just personal choice. if your after outright horsepower then go the 350 or 400 . if all u want is a reliable v8 that goes well and makes the right noises go the 283. prob a bit more economical too :lol:

as a what 350 a stocker or a stroked and bored one? as they are basically the same engine the same mods would bring the same amount of unreliability. a stock 283 would be as reliable as a stock 350 . a modded 283 or 350 would therefore be the same reliability wise. its just that your making more power from the 350 due to more cubic inches and as we all know cubes make power

you peeps must be mad

do you know how much boaring and widening it is to take a damn 283-350?!

thats like a 2L increase or some crazy shit.. dunno how much exactly but i doubt you could bore it out THAT much.

someone prove me wrong please

you peeps must be mad

do you know how much boaring and widening it is to take a damn 283-350?!

thats like a 2L increase or some crazy shit.. dunno how much exactly but i doubt you could bore it out THAT much.

someone prove me wrong please

It's around 1 litre..

1cubic inch = 16.387 cc

283cu = 4637cc

350cu = 5735cc

either way, "cubic inches is the answer" or some shit, I don't agree...

forced induction is the answer, and not gay blowers pinched off detroits either....

TURBS :twisted:

the chevy small block started in 1955 as a 265 and has grown over the years to a 400 all share the same basic block and heads though the 400 does have a slighly taller block. hey cam the next time ya see a 5000hp turbo car take a picture and send it to me . there is a reason why top fuelers have 500cubes and a blower. THEY MAKE MORE POWER! :lol: when we bulit my chevy v6 we bored it out 60thou [1.5mm] taking the cubes from 229-236 my engine has the same bore and stroke as the 283. while the chevy smallblocks all look the same from the out side 327-350 have a larger bore thus the inside of the block is more heavy duty

what kind of milage would you get from a standard 283, usually drive to city n back, 30km round trip, send about $50 a week currently

do they like sitting in traffic,

what kind of problrm would cause a 283 to be a bit smoky.

are they easy to fix, find parts for etc.

never owned a v8, and considering buying car with one in it.

i would think it prob wouldnt be too far from that 150ks a week in traffic about 60-70 bucks maybe. as long as ya didnt try to have a drag at every set of lights. if the motor doesnt have super high ks on it its prob the valve guides . the heads dont have hardened valve seats and suffer from valve seat resession due to unleaded fuel. parts for 1st generation small blocks are cheap and easy to get. the only prob is that these engines are almost 40 years old and most have been recond once or twice in their lives. this means that the block and crank are usually on their last grind or bore. most blocks can go to 40-60 thou oversize[1-1.5mm] and cranks can go to 30thou undersize. once past these limits they are buggered. they can be sleeved etc but most engine reconditioners wont guarantee them like that. if you are looking at a second hand engine ask if ya can pop the sump and have a look for obvious signs of wear ie lip in the bore ,scuffing of the bores

well he wasnt specifically meaning little 4cyl turbos either.. if turbos had the same potential for top fuel/funny dragsters then SOMEONE would have made a dragster with a huge fuckoff turbo. this is my, and seems to be daves arguement on how we see them having higher potential 8) just like the fastest full bodied (were talking '63 vette doorslammer here) v8 doing the 1/4 in a full second quicker than the fastest full bodied rotor in the world.. just much greater in my opinion. IMO IMO IMO