Starlet 4K Rev Limit & Suggested Mods

Muzzie

82 Starlie turned race car, got given a 3 inch tach for it and was wondering what I should set the shift light too.

What will a standard 4K do in terms of revs, obviously they aint rev happy but will 6grand kill them or what.

Also, whats some cheap basic mods I can do to get some more go out of it, mainly in terms of acceleration more than top speed. It's got a free flow exhaust on it and it's entirely stripped.

Opinions? Suggestions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more acceleration ay.... hmmmmm

definately take weight off the flywheel. maybe look at a higher diff ratio?>

make it breathe better.

depends how far u wanna go really? bigger valves and a cam grind to suit as well

havent had any experience with toyo motors beyond that tho. good luck, should go hard for a little lightweight ay

Well it's only used for dirt track, so no good in me maxxing out the top end - I just need it to get up and go in a hurry.

Having said that, I hope I don't max it out on track day - that could be a disadvantage.

Diffs already welded, well, actually this is the second diff :)

And on dirt you do want some tread. 80kph on bald tyres on mud slippery enough to get a completely loaded water truck sideways on is not advised!

Diffs already welded, well, actually this is the second diff :)

And on dirt you do want some tread. 80kph on bald tyres on mud slippery enough to get a completely loaded water truck sideways on is not advised!

ohh why not? id be fun tho :twisted:

no no no! you dont want to do that with a standard 4k!!!! they redline at 5200 :P i dont go over 5500 myself (if i even go there), it sounds like its about to die after 5 ish

if you want more/cheapish power? get a 5k. loads more power and bolts straight in :D

Guest blown4

i raced a starlet(dirt track)for a season in dargaville,it ran twin carbs,cam(i think!)extractors and had no pipe,just a coby straight off the end of the extractors,and i won a few hard races like that.the bloody thing valae bounced down each straight every time(sorry,dont know the revs,tooo scared to look :lol: )at the end of the season it stillticked over beautifully and i didnt have to top up oil or water all season.i just got in,turned her on pushed the starter and she fired every time.WARNING;these cars do fall over easy,as i was told,but i still rolled mine in my first race(gotta learn ur limits lol)

According to my tacho it'll go to about 6500 then run outta power to go any further, can't get it valve bounce.

Putting in a 4age is too expensive, and so far I've never rolled mine, had it on two wheels yes but thats a daily passtime :)

my 4k ured to go to about 7 before valve bounce, but power died off a bit before then because of standard cams etc...

Yeah thats basically like what mine does. I just need it to get there quicker than it does currently :)

Exhaust system, extractors, maybe twin carbs off 5k, and usual porting job with wilder cam. Yes? Then you got suspension etc, but don't ask me, I'm on bumpstops!

Doesn't need suspension. It's got new shocks, and it's lowered slightly (prolly more hinderance than help) and massively wide tyres so it corners good. On mud anyways.

That's why I said "Just not too much"

If you just cut the sprongs or compressed them, then yes, it would be worse, to a degree.

Don't know why I brought up the airflow thing, it's not really relevant unless you're pulling like 200km/h plus. My bad

Lowering a car always helps, just not too much. It's that whole increasing speed of airflow under car thing, helps car stick to road. Lower it too far and you'll do like senna did, which was that his car was too low, bottomed out with cold tyres, interrupted airflow under car, 280km/h plus misdirected airflow=fucked.

not always! lower a 88 325i like i had and it will be worse! cant beat the germans mate. honestly, their suspension is fucking awesome! even the tyre shops i went to told me