Rear Wheel Bearing

zep

Hey guys,

I'm getting a horrible kinda whiney wirring noise coming from the rear of my car somewhere. I think it might be one of the wheel bearing. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get to it.

brakes.jpg

What do I do?

Cheers

Leon

Ive never done it on a disc brake rear end or anything other than a ford but here goes you will need to remove the caliper and I guess the brake rotor undo the bolts holding on the flange /bearing housing and pull the half shaft out with a slide hammer and bearing attached to it then get someone to replace the bearing and put it all back together :wink: I think that should be it

Guest d1lema

i know in my corona i had to take axle to an engineer to get the bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on cost me around $50 and yeah its a prick of a job to do.

well if you jack up that side of the car that you think has the buggered wheel bearing then grab the tyre and wriggle it ....if it has excessive mvement its the bearing ...ur can tell on the front just spin the wheel and u'll feel the rumbling through the chassis ...changing wheel bearings is piss easy but then again ive only done tapered ones , the whirring might be caused by lack of oil in diff???? mine screamed when it had none in it

i had a similar problem to what you described, took the cort to my mechanic, who did one wheel bearing hten took it for a drive,

didnt fix the problem.

swaped diffs fixed it.

the best thing is, he never invoiced me for the work!

hahaha

no if the crown wheel and pinion are out of elignment most of the noise will b heard on the after run and at light load time. in saying that if you dont do heaps of skids and your diff deosnt have a million miles on it it is unlikely that the diff bearings or spider gears are stuffed more like prob a wheel bearing or seized uni joint