Pinto turbo oil problems

Guest ldgracie

Guest ldgracie

Having problems with oil feed on the turbo Pinto. What sort of size oil lines did you run as a feed and what size as the return tot he sump?

6mm high pressure oil rated flame resistant feed with 1.8mm restrictor (carb jet). Return is 12mm piping. (inside diameter) The return is only gravity driven so it must be as smooth and direct as possible..no sharp kinks etc.

BTW, ...don't ever..ever use running in oil or even crap oil in your engine. The turbo will die a quick death trust me. :rolleyes:

and watch the restrictor, if you use one, isn't placed too close to the turbo. The heat will coke the oil in the restrictor and block it and you won't know until your turbo starts blowing smoke.... :rolleyes:

Guest ldgracie

Cheers.

Might have to look at the return line its 3/4" id but I can't remember how free it was into the sump. The feed pipe should be right but i'll try the restrictor at the sender unit.

Have had one start smoking but in fairness the car had been sitting without been run for about 12 months.

Well I don't kno what type of turbo you're running but if it's anything like a T25 you have to use a restrictor of around 1.8mm

If it's pure grey smoke at idle then it's burning in the turbo. Mine smoked like a train then I found out I was supposed to be using a restrictor!

the if it is directly vertical into the turbo it should be ok as the excess oil will drain down, it's when you have a restrictor in the flat part of tubeing further back but still above the turbo there could be a problem.

hope this makes sence.

ie. My first feed was a L shaped fitting that screwed into the turbo but was quite short, like maybe 50mm and then the rubber hose connected onto this. The restrictor sat in the join between the rubber and metal fitting. This was no good and ruined one of my turbos :x

So I sourced another factory fitting that was heaps longer so that the join and the restrictor sat well away from the turbo...above the rocker cover instead. see pics:

turbo11if.jpg

turbo24el.jpg

the other thing is too make dam sure there's no chance of the oil feed coming off the fitting or the block t-peice! You (& me) should really be using braided hose with banjo's...but that shits too expensive. Just use good quality fittings and correctly sized tube etc

cos if it comes off you can kiss both your turbo and your engine goodbye!

Guest ldgracie

Yah I started the topic then got lost working on the car!

-Turbo away being rebuilt, seals stuffed and bearing had some play.

-Just brought brand new (as in never used brand new) carb off trademe which will replace the old one that was getting sloppy.

-Intake leak so intake manifold is getting machined flat this week (thought i'd get away with it)

-5 spd is in and hooked up

-4 pots and 300 dia rotors up front are f****n great. Stops like mates race car with willwood set up

Just need the bits back then stitch it back together, run, tune and check then rollcage!!