Not Oldschool - But backyard mechanic styles...

v3k

My 1988 V3000 blows blue smoke on startup (if left for long enough), then when backing off under load. Im guessing my valve seals are poked. (Well, the advice I have been given is thus) If it was the rings, I'd see smoke more often.

What I would like to pick from our brains is how hard a job is it to replace the valve seals. Bearing in mind this is an overhead cam engine.

Naively I took off one of the rocker covers to make a basic guesstimate... The cam(s) runs between the valves which are covered by big HD looking springs.

This is where my questioning starts, am I going to need to remove the cam and all associated bits and pieces to get at the valve seals? Is it likely to be a bastard to put it back together? And finally - is it worth doing?

Sorry this isnt related to an oldschool car, but it is in the area of fixing it yourself and building(or fixing), not buying.... :D

Cheers

On second thoughts... scratch that. I found a website with a guide. And simply its not going to happen when I only have 1 car. If I balls it up I wont be able to get to work!

Maybe later... you know, once I have got my hands on a capri

i think its abig job... you mean the valve seals which are inside the spring at the bottom?..... it would require removing the head for a start... unless you are really careful and hold the valve to stop it from falling into the bore....while you change the seal but that would be fuckign hard

Guest Jamezuu

You can do it with the head on but you need a special valve spring compressor and a sparkplug air hose fitting and air compressor to pressurize the cyclinder so the valve doesnt fall in when you take the spring off. Its a pain in the arse but saves removing the head and buying a sometimes expensive headgasket.

Taking the head off is way easier but would be more expensive.

But id get a price on a headgasket set (which includes valve stem seals) you might be suprised.

from what i have read.... you can do it with the head on, but need to move the cylinder you are working on to TDC then you can get a fitting to pressurize the cylinder from an air compressor. This holds the valve up (so they say).... I'd be more inclined to do it as a longer time span repair with the heads coming off and new gaskets etc.... hell, may as well do the cam belt too... shit - Im going to need another car

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chevysrocknroll

chances are its not your stem seals any way, your valve guide is probably fucked and there will be heaps of oil goin down. Go to supercheep whores. I just got a gasket set for my HQ cuz im recondition my head as well and it was only 40 bucks. Oil oil seals will help your problem but wont garauntee to last for long

I bet 5$ its your rings not your valve seals

Possibly, but it only blows smoke for about 5 secs then wont do it again until I leave it overnight again. Also the fact it will blow a little after a hard back off (i.e as revs are dropping, accel off under load) indicates the oil is being sucked it. Im guessing through the valve system somewhere.

Chances are the rings arent well either, but if it was them being the major problem, why would it only blow smoke after being left for ages? And then on the next startup no smoke?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...