Diff Ratios

Guest kornstar

you can find out the ratio buy dividing the number of teeth on the crown wheel of the diff by the teeth on the drive pinion

so say if you diff is 3.08 to 1 it means that that your rear wheels will turm once for every 3.08 turns of the drive shaft :D

not sure what it will be in an HQ sorry :?

there is no "ideal ratio"...or every manufactorer would use it.

It depends on the weight of the car...the type of motor ( where it develops good power ).

Also you will find that different car manufactuers will have differnt ratio g/box's...which affects the diff ratio....

also the ideal ratio will depend on the style of how you drive...

ie...want to get from a-b real fast...but don't often drive out on the highway, then a real low geared diff is for you ( has a higher number ie 4.6, but is called "low geared" ).

But if you do lots more open road driving than round town, and don't mind speeding and using less gas....then a High geared diff is for you ( has a lower number ie 3.5, but is called "high geared" ).

I had a 4.6 in my datto last year, and doing 110kph it would be revving at about 4100rpm ( in a 0.85ratio 5th gear )...( use lots of gas ).

but around town, it accelerated real fast...I loved it.

• 1 month later...