Essex V6 to type 9 gearbox

JR

Hey guys, I've got a Capri project that I'm putting an Essex V6 in. I have got a type 9 gearbox that I would like to mate to it but finding a suitable bellhousing is proving quite difficult. Has anyone been through this and has an idea to help? Or made an adapter plate or has a suitable bellhousing hiding somewhere?

Cheers.

Apparently the Sierra V6 type 9 has a longer input shaft, but would be for the German V6.  Did the two V6 engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern?  I assume the bolt pattern on the Type 9 is different to the earlier 4-speed, so you can't just use the original V6 bellhousing?  Or could you redrill the original bellhousing to fit the Type 9?  Have you asked on Retro Rides?

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the German engine has a different bolt pattern to the Essex. The type 9 was developed from the 2000e 4 speed. They basically just added another gear. So I thought it would be easier to find a bellhousing to fit the type 9. Only problem is, they vary rarely used that 4 speed box on the Essex, it was mostly used on pintos. So, turns out the type 9 is easy to mate to a pinto, just not as easy as I first thought for the V6.

I have got an original V6 bellhousing, I guess I'll start looking into making an adapter/re drilling.

I'll have a look at Retro Rides now thanks.

Cheers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I have a type E gearbox and two essex engines in my shed. Or more like @Adoom has as the scimitar is his problem now. 

I take it they are different bellhousings? 

Hey. I believe the bellhousing that mates a type e to an essex is exactly what I'm after! Do you happen have one that you are willing to sell?

I'll message you, cheers.