Kicker's Nifty

kicker

With summer almost here I have been wanting another twist and go for Fruju runs to the dairy.
I put some feelers out for a Dio or similar and ended up with this part finished project.

DTIRRMb.jpg

Not quite a Dio but this part is, AF18E

fUaw5xq.jpg

I'm gonna redo the install, the rear shock is currently bolted to the original mount and the bottom looks like this

Gr8pLtE.jpg

And the engine seems to fit with the Nifty mount but is further forward than I'd like as the exhaust touches the plastics

r991oZ0.jpg

So if anyone has an AF18 engine mount or an airbox/other filter options hit me up 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the engine and suspension mounts done today.

aICjMKL.jpg

CtoJuya.jpg

2mCdOo0.jpg

8bHPK4E.jpg

After cutting most of the plate holder off I now need to trim a heap out of the sidepanels to clear the exhaust and airbox.

A new throttle cable, battery and a carb clean and should be good to try and fire it up.

Other nice to haves are a new front brake cable and some kind of side stand.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

It took a while to get this heap running. The carb was the most poo'd up I'd ever seen, I had to drill out one of the brass bungs and run a drill bit down the fuel inlet gallery to clear it. With the carb sorted I checked the wiring diagrams next and everything matched up nicely between the models so that was easy. Now it had spark and fuel but it still wouldn't start so I left it for a while to do other things then last week I decided to check the crank seals, pressure test showed they were good so I pulled the engine and whipped the cylinder off.

TpXp6pV.jpg

Lol

Replacement cylinder and piston.

6T6hetn.jpg

Big end felt good so I wanged the new bits in with a new small end bearing.

Neat.

I had it running on premix till the oil pump could bleed up but the oil coming up the line looked a bit milkshakey so took the pump off for a look.

mvu7jRo.jpg

Lol

That might be why it siezed, anyway the pump has been disassembled and cleaned up ready to try again. I checked the Nifty oil tank and there is no sign of water so it must have been from the Dio before it was disassembled.

Lastly, while I had stuff apart I chucked in some 7g rollers I had in stock to replace the 9g that were in there. Good times.

• Like 4

Ok so the pump is all good now, has nice clean oil coming out. I also trimmed the throttle cable as it was a bit long and set the pump adjustment.

hOw1tKp.jpg

I'm starting to think the Dio had been out in the rain/underwater/lived somewhere very damp prior to being dismantled and stuck in the Nifty so I thought I should check the final drive oil.

AJqK7Z1.jpg

Heh

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

More progress
I got the final drive cleaned out and sealed up once the gasket set arrived so the engine side of things should be good now.
On the frame side I needed to sort out a stand as it didn't have one, decided to go for a side stand, not the most convenient with a CVT but looks cooler. I ordered the shortest I could find then shortened it another 20mm, a bit of scrap steel, some head scratching and it's on.

8pfwkvP.jpg

twcvHYy.jpg

After that I fit the terrible fitting plastics with zip ties, some mirrors and the plate which I picked up a week after I bought it and we are good to go.

nYXVI00.jpg

Test ride was successful, the oil pump bled right up to the carb so I dumped the premix and put straight gas in, the brakes work, the lights work (other than one blown indicator bulb), it seems to go pretty fast. I need to take it on a longer run and see what breaks/rubs/falls off.
If anyone has a black seat I'd be interested, someone has recovered this one with polar fleece or something :)

• Like 9