Jump to content

Vk304's 1985 vk commodore


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this stage the gearbox was all done, I'd put clutch resiviour in, bleed and put new oil in the box, all the interior was taken out and cleaned, carpet washed with soap and a water blaster (bit oil stained)

And installed the battery in boot properly with all-thread welded to the boot floor, with a steel hold down clamp , with isolator in passenger footwell which can shut all power down to the car, after all the wiring has been moved so much I thought it a good idea. The inside was now much cleaner and tidier.







  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20210404_103452.jpg.7d0b08f7d42140aaeab82bdb2d074bc5.jpgFB_IMG_1617259350854.jpg.2dc1f78035aa41b8b6747731a6cf960c.jpgSome of the stages the engine bay went through black- too dark, white gets dirty , my white paint had a reaction or something and though it looks nice on pictures, it cracked horribly all over, so this is now on the to-do list, took me a while to get the proper 5litre vt front cover





  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

During this I'd gotten a fenix radiator, which was a bit too tall and the hose inlet was in the wrong place so I modified the way it was mounted, just barely fits, and fan shroud.

I made it so the whole unit comes out now (fan, radiator, adjustable fan controller) by just removing the 2 wires, 3 hoses and lifting it out of the custom rubber mounts, no bolts at all, has saved a lot of time...

Also made a cold air box with pod filter inside that's sealed from the engine bay, and a pan, or folded alli plate that seals the front area so air can only go through the radiator 






  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a set of brakes from the vs ute, slotted drilled rotors and master cylinder etc, had to buy hub adapters to make it work as well as a spacer for the booster, and now works great, the rotors are a bit bigger, calipers finned, rotor no longer house wheel bearings, mate at work skimmed the front rotors to make for a nice brake setup, that can still have small wheels go over I believe.

And got certified, first time around was a fail on speedometer out and a fuel line fastener in one spot, not bad! Fixed those things and all done !





  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Throughout the time ive had this car painted ive always stored it inside, the last year ive put it outside a few times, and instantly the wing started to bubble, turns out the sun and rain with bad paint prep on fibreglass took a toll on it, but no other parts of the car, it still looked good, but had some scratches and the bubbles got bigger and bigger.


So i decided to paint it and another part which ill detail later, together




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keeping in mind i did not know how to paint with anything other than a rattle can as of a year ago, im pretty happy with the result

Its sealed on front edge and where bolts come through boot with some quality sealer with gaps to let water through, still have to cut and polish lightly but overall the ss wing looks good

Yea and i decided this is gonna be a hdt ss rep ( not group a or group3) its got the basic trim, 5l v8 manual, wing, and with a stripe kit, some ss decals front and back it should be pretty close to what the base ss models were . . Well not exact but thats what i want it to be .  .



  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So yeaa i backed it into my fence :-x because akward garage exit, non attention and caved the rear quater corner in, broke a light and munted a bumper side, i was pretty gutted put it back in garage, diddnt take pictures hoping it would fix itself, but the next weekend i had regained some motivation, soo off to aussy spares to get some bits and try to make it nice again...

I put in quite a few hours popping the corner back out, took bumper side off to work on getting the new one ready sprayed some black on it to protect the metal and left it for a while so i could get paint bits ..

There were no lights with no damage so brought the least damaged one, along with 2 i had to make one good light lol 

This included digging out plastic panels and using some pp/pe plastic glue (worked great), non hardening sealer to seal it, and made it presentable 








  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Then did the inside of the boot as it was a bit damaged and uneven paint20210820_155814.thumb.jpg.7a1fdfad6065c8202bebe748658a093d.jpgand the quarter, which came out too light first time20210907_093323.thumb.jpg.6232d58fb1864b2b6d7bcfa33334086d.jpg so sanded it right back down, mixed some black base with it and it is now okay, paints nice but unfortunately you can see where it meets in the light, but okay from a distance lol

The method i came up with was paint primer, sand it right down, especially the edge where it meets paint, then base, x3 and sand between on the edge part, then clear same again, each time overlapping, drying with a heater in between.

A lot of work for average result, but didn't have enough paint left for the whole quater, so it is and now its only the engine bay to do 20210907_093735.thumb.jpg.5356b801c6354d8e7428dffe1e217ffa.jpglooks alright 20210907_094059.jpg.156ee1670c6906488db7c61e874ba3fd.jpg


  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...