BlownCoronas Mopar Miata

BlownCorona

i have, that shit crazy fast.

there is also a Mercedes M120 v12 going into one, that one fits like a glove too, an XXS glove over an XXL foot. 

fits none the less. and it will sound like a zonda if hes done it right, 

Image may contain: car

funnily enough we also have one of those engines at work, in an sl600 race car we built, its a gigantic engine, truly a monster. sadly the motor is fucked, so its getting similar treatment to my car, except we'll use one of the Hemi 5.7 beasts we sometimes get. 

i figured i didn't need an additional 25% power over the 4.7 in an mx5, with the added bonus of way more spare parts for the 4.7. cheap cheap

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Those 4.7's are actually a Merc engine that Chrysler borrowed. 
Ive seen what your work does. exactly seven years ago this coming friday I went to a demonstration out the back of ruapuna. there was cars being smashed up, and beer and pizza. it was legit as fuck. The lady Next door to me works there too. Once in a while (not for a while now though) I'll hear a Ram taking six goes to back up their driveway when they need to do a run to the dump, or drop off something large theyre bringing home. 

I wholeheartly approve of this swap.  goes hard for what it is springs to mind..........

It's still beers and pizza and car crashes. I'm lucky. 

The IT guy also knows you nismocapri on other areas of the Internet and mentioned you lived next to office manager. Small world. The road legal ram is gone unfortunately. 

It certainly should go hard for what it is! 

• 1 month later...

on the suggestion of runamuck, i posted in this forum looking for wiring info, 

and user on there was very kind and gave me a bunch of info which should hopfully sort me out, i was gonna dump all the info in here but sort of cant be bothers, plus give those guys the traffic eh?

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/4-7l-corsair-wiring-diagrams.440431/

also had my weld in 'project car' engine mounts turn up from speedway motors in america, grunty looking things! they are actually for the new gen Hemi, but for the price, i couldnt have bought the materials and if they don't fit the block then worst case is a redrill or a new engine plate. easy as! hope to have the engine "fitted" soon. 

68424983_452939005553762_8550935515858206720_n.thumb.jpg.62c3d61a266012fab57f6869cfb00875.jpg

67564070_2441446225890796_614582083158802432_n.thumb.jpg.435fe7335b8b7ff442ecb29c7b32350d.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday I made some engine lifting points as weirdly this engine doesn't have any.

I assume they are under the manifold, but I have no interest in pulling the manifold off. 

These will also alow the use of an engine leveler as I hope to fit the engine and trans as one unit Screenshot_20190815-202735_Gallery.jpg.1075773555d4df9a74d8f0f539403c86.jpgScreenshot_20190815-202750_Gallery.jpg.09b0923ebae982e479e5bbe0625061e5.jpg

• Like 2

more progress during smoko and lunch today. building a race car at work rules. 

cut 100mm out of the top of the firewall and made two cuts down each side of the tunnel roof, pushing the tunnel up. once i know the engine fits the holes will be patched up. should make installs a breeze. 

xymdbsg5.j3w.jpg
34zkqzgu.xuj.jpg
5d52y1xt.bwd.jpg

came across the first real issue too. the exhaust manifold foul on the frame rails. i can notch these out enough to clear i think. however the drivers side manifold dumps right onto the steering shaft. 

2rywsnco.olt.jpg
tk34ppd0.h3w.jpg

flipping the manifold looks to be an option, and im contemplating the option of bringing the drives side exhaust around or under the engine and merging with the passengers exhaust, or crossing back under the trans. ill clearance the frame rails and see where that leaves me i think. 

a3vallsk.jmv.jpg
wurfad01.jbr.jpg
w5ftk3yw.vor.jpg

not quite in, but its getting lower in the engine bay! should go down and back about 3" both ways

psrls4qx.ii4.jpg

any ideas, shoot them my way! gotta say, i thought id be swinging a sledge hammer pretty early on to make this fit, so im pretty stoked on how its fitting, and can see why LS swaps are so popular in the states.

• Like 7

with the exhaust manifolds removed the engine went in the hole effortlessly. it will sit back maybe another inch, but my lifting attachment fouls on the edge of the engine bay so will need to sort that. 

new custom log manifolds dont look to pose much of a hassle. they will probably need to be installed once the engine is in the bay though, but we'll see how much clearance i can make, haven't used that sledge hammer yet...

pretty pleased with how it fits in there. the bonnet wont be shutting any time soon though, but a muscle car style hood should sus it and look pretty stout too. excuse all the truck spec dipsticks and wires all over the show. these will be fastened and trimed to suit. 

gfz2v5wh.45l.jpg

42nmbagl.uto.jpg

gv0yk4a5.gec.jpg

it sure is a big engine! looks pretty snug down in the engine bay properly. 

now comes the slightly harder job of fitting the engine mount kit and working out a suitable gearbox mount.

• Like 5

Can you lower the profile of the engine by reversing that throttle body housing somehow? Reroute it back into the heater plenum?  A muscle car style bonnet will work in your favour two fold. Bonnet clearance, and if its open at the back it will aid air which has been through the radiator to exit the engine bay.