Old Ladys Cash Register

Sorensin

So my mum is turning old this year! (happy Birthday mum) and she likes old things so im tidying up a old cash register for her Birthday present.

So this is the Beast!

na3z4myx.ycm.jpg

Purchased it as 'was going... until kids pushed multiple buttons at once and it jammed and the draw won't stay closed anymore...'

so it's a bit of a gamble hopefully I can get it to go again.

Elsa stickers came free!

• Like 7

While pulling apart found a small fortune inside...

at the rate I was pulling out stuck coins I thought the unit might end up paying for itself

4jfbzicv.4oa.jpg
clszjsxw.f2g.jpg
rayepuan.dlx.jpg

Ended up with a few coins of various ages and places but shy of them paying for the unit, one of the coins was a collectors millennium coin which is a little bit cool

• Like 3

Some more progress

Removed the glass from the outer shell, the glass is actual glass! It's missing one bit and it's all very thin I'd like to replace the missing piece but I'm not sure I'll be able to find somewhere to cut me a thin enough piece.

While on the topic of fixing things on this, the cash register has two locks and zero keys, I know very little about locks, cheaper to try replace the whole mechanisms (very generic looking - will try to remember to take photos next time) from somewhere or to take to a locksmith to have keys made?

3xdfagvw.cjs.jpg
mam2r2cn.o2b.jpg
e5ptah3o.tsz.jpg

There were two holes at the top of the machine, looks like someone possibly fixed something to the machine, I assume this because when I search for images of the cash register I can't find any with anything on the top.

So I welded up the two holes and cleaned it up.

• Like 1

Carefully removed the plates from this (last) panel, I'm going to try find the worlds smallest pop riveter to put them back on, the panels with a small piece of glass behind them really concern me though.  The the front of the base I had previously left on the plate with the serial number deciding I didn't want to damage it butt his panel was in too bad of condition to not attend to or to try work around the plates left on.

pfzcw3kc.efc.jpg
15fdiqjk.j32.jpg
fwy0j3tq.txo.jpg
drxlqtjq.4th.jpg

There is two of these (bakerlite?) panels on the cash register one of the front of the draw the other where you hand rests while using the machine, both were full of filth I've cleaned one so far it its been the most time consuming job so far.  I tried using wax and grease remover as well as thinners to try just lift of the gunk but it wasn't working so I took to it with a razor blade and pick to help clean it out between the grooves then again cleaned it with thinners.  These are going to be painted black but I thought it was important to clean them out properly because the tread isn't very deep and I didn't want to lose that look when they are primed then painted.

• Like 3

So the panels have been rubbed down and the colour made,  It was hard to get a good photo of the colour with the booth lights and a shitty cell phone camera, will try remember to take some proper pics with my camera when I get it home.

dgsauplk.pe4.jpg
3kryrqlm.pbw.jpg
l3x0dagu.oiw.jpg
dmp4sbh2.pmh.jpg

So that's not me ^^ i'd actually use a mask when spraying poison into the air I'm breathing, also the colour is as mentioned above not shown very well here it looks more brown than it actually is.

So the plan is tomorrow, paint the red and the black bits and then bring it home for reassembly in the weekend.

Also when I have photos I'll mention how the front of the draw didn't work out quite how I would have liked :(

I'll also have a go at using a razor blade to tidy up the gaps on the body where the paint has bridged a little, if I can't get that to look tidy I may try a very fine black pin stripe over all the joins.

• Like 3