rusty bits

fagoff

Fagoff

HQ

Hi  I havnt been on for a while I moved to Thames from Chch over a year ago and drove my HQ up  went like a dream.

I repainted it not long before I moved didn't have much time so I just treated the rusty bits, bogged and painted it .

Now im settled in my plan is to cut out rusty bits and repaint the old girl. I recently bought a home handyman mig welder with co2 and lately a 3in 1 sheet metal tool it cuts bends and makes curves up to 300 mls wide in 1mm or thinner metal.I figure that should do for anything I need and can always join for wider pieces.

I picked up an old car door from the wreckers and have been cutting it up and welding in new patches also practicing bogging and painting  it. Im getting more ambitious at welding patches on my door including corners with fold over seams .

One question ,is it necessary to do a continuous weld on a car panel eg a door panel  or is it ok to just tack weld at say 5/10 mm apart all round and fill gaps later with bog. ?

The more I weld the metal the more potential for distorting the metal im working on.

If you have lots of small holes to fix say in a floor pan. I've seen a restorer do this in a 55 chev. Screw a strip of panel steel to a sheet of ply then holesaw out a pile of discs in a drill press so you have no hole in the centre. You can then holesaw out the rust in the car and weld in your discs been round the shrinkage is very uniform a quick linish off of the weld and a gentle tap around and its perfect. Screwing your sheet steel to ply give you something to hold onto while hole sawing and some weight so you wont get sliced up if it grabs. You can get creative to using a bigger disc holesaw out some rust say in a corner of a door bend the disc to shape in a vice and trim it to fit with tinsnips everything will have a round edge again minimum shrinkage.

• Like 2