free wheeling hubs

smokin'joe

so, the rubbish auto hubs on the 1990 Suzuki suffer from scizophrenia, and arn't too sure if they want to lock, or if/when they will lock.

as i am not financial enough to buy maunal locking hubs, and there was a factory option for a fixed hub,

what issues will i encounter if i weld them up ?

has open front diff, and selectable transfer box and currently has even less traction than my 2wd hilux

Could I suggest maybe a little more information on the vehicle? What model, what do you use it for, daily driver etc. These are all deciding factors and need to be known before educated advice can be given out.

1600 8 valve 5-speed escudo SWB certified as fladdeck

road legal off-roader, farm hack.

i reaslise front CV's may wear out quicker, but plenty of people leave manual hubs engaged, and selct via transfer or have solid hubs and use transfer

yeah it'll be sweet. 

apparently may be a little more drag/fuel use on open road, feedback through steering etc but would anyone really notice that? 

Probably fairly unlikely! 

I would, however, say there's probably not a lot of strength in a welded auto hub though. Save your pingas and get some manuals :D

the factory fixed hub ones probably run the 'shift on the fly' 4wd system. not sure on suzukis but i know on the pajeros, this has a vaccuum solenoid thing that kicks the front diff in and out of gear. 

on jacked up wagons this can cause the cv boots to split faster but in the few years I had a stock height pajero it was never a worry to me. 

would tose fixed drive flanges go straight onto your whip? that'd be a much more reliable option i would think.

Oh hey just noticed aliexpress has a few different manual hubs for vitara/Escudo at about $35 bucks a set

Even if it goes pop, you might at least get $35 worth

hadn't looked there yet.

pulled the faccy ones off after learning wheel bearing grease is a common cause of failure, l/h side cleanish, still stripped and flushed it though. r/h side, didn't get that far...fully fucked , tore the locking tab of the engagement ring and chewed the fuckery out of every rotating part inside....

the boy has passed his first assignment in wrecking shit as good as his old man....top marks