4AGE bigport to smallport. Different ECU pinouts

ExtremeBean

My AW11 has a smallport, non-TVIS 4age in it rather than its factory bigport engine. It is however, still running the bluetop loom and ECU - which does seem to work ok for now! But when looking into getting the proper ECU to suit, i saw that the ECU plugs are different.

Bluetop TVIS pin layout: 10p 18p 14p
Redtop non-TVIS pin layout: 26p 16p 12p

My questions are, how would i go about hooking up the non-TVIS ecu to my car if the pin layout is different?
And what difference will the swap make? Will the car actually run better or is the current ECU fine?

Get the complete loom, will probably make sweet FA difference.

I hope you're right. But the original engine would have used an AFM - whereas the one currently in it has a MAP sensor. I assume this means the ECU would be running as if it were without an AFM, and using some sort of overly rich base tune?

I don't really know, hence why I'm asking the internets

If it's going fine the dissy and tps will be Big Port ones, Small Port ones wouldn't run.

Not an easy thing to do an ECU swap without the loom but if you are willing to pull the loom apart and track the wires it can be done.

If it's not broke don't fix it, the only real effects of using the Small Port engine with a Big Port ECU is it will use a bit more gas, throttle responce at top end will be a bit slower and you won't see the extra few horse's the later engine produces.

PS. If it's running well on the Big Port ECU you will find the injectors, dissy, TPS, oxy sensor and most of the other sensors will be from the Blue Top, thats a lot more bits to find to do the full conversion to Small Port.

Your best bet is going back to a Big Port engine or the head at least

Your best bet is going back to a Big Port engine or the head at least

The previous owner did mention using a bigport head actually. I think seeing as it's running nicely (albeit a bit rich) I will just leave it. If i ever get any head gasket troubles or get bored later on - swapping a bigport head might be the go! ...Or i could just go all out an put a 20v in there... How hard is that conversion?  :rolleyes: