SR20DET - What to look for

spiderwebfx

Buying a S14 SR20DET tomorrow.  Motor is out of the car and has been on a shelf for 6 months.

Anyone know what to look out for?  I've been around Silvia's and SR's for a while, but don't know what you can check if anything, without being able to do a compression test.

I am getting a start-up guarantee and I can compression test it once I get it home and pull the old motor out of the car.  I just don't have the bits to do it first.

I've been told it has been stored with oil in it, but that's most likely only the standard amount.

I'm open to any suggestions on what to check.

Drain oil and see how its looks

Maybe whip the sump and bearing caps off to see how the bearings look is probably a good idea and would only take 10 mins/same with the rocker covers to see if its nice and clean

He's said he'll pull rocker cover off for me.  I never though of doing that.  I'm taking some basic tools with me to go look, so pulling the bottom off will be an option.

yea check for crud under the rocker cover, they get coked up bad and chew out the cams if the oil has not been regularly changed.

also, the timing chain hits the guard between the cam pulleys when the tensioner gets fucked and makes it rattle bad on startup. if you notice the chain is a bit slack, and it has a bit of a rattle on startup only, knock him down on price and then replace the cam chain tensioner for $50 and your golden