4g92 - Custom ECU Few Q's

bonkas

Have you had it running on this wheel as for a vr pickup the width of the teeth must be the same as the width of the pickup or itll be erratic looks more suited for a hall effect sensor :)

Still waiting on editing ability :(

Head over to mjrstar's place, look at wiring but your REAL mission will be to look at his falcon fan buttons and let me know if they look good or not. I think he's too nice to tell me if they're up to scratch or not ;) I think they looked rad individually but....

Speaking of thread jacks, did the other little bit turn up mjrstar?

and since you have a 4g63t are you running it off the cas? Do you have a trigger wheel on anything he can look at?

He is mine, I think I machined in a lip for a spacer then heated/shrank the trigger wheel over the protrusion out the face of the pulley. It was a trigger wheel I was given, apparently from a ford of some description. You can buy cut ones or have a custom one cut for you, if someone on here had a laser cutter they'd be EVERYONE's friend and have the best stocked fridge ever ;)

2014-03-08%2012.49.21.jpg

I thought I could perhaps mount it on the back to begin with..... but not enough room and too close to my dodgy belts ;)

2012-07-23111603.jpg

Yes.

Now to be of use to the thread dt speaks of sensor vs tooth size, if they are the same size the time taken to go from + to - (switching voltage output from sensor) is a very short time. If it is larger the output may linger on zero until the following edge comes into range of the sensor.

So get a matching pair for your trigger wheel, pretty simple no need to fret :-)

Do both the pickup and the wheel came from a Ford.. No idea what vehicle/engine?

I did come across a firm who custom makes these but if I remember right they were $600+ for the wheel and another cost for the sensor.. way out of my price range :(

Just put a 36-1 on the crank and use a hall effect sensor, seriously don't bother with a vr sensor. Fitting a trigger wheel to a crank pulley is pretty easy if you are smart about it/ your engine manufacturer didn't cheap out on materials haha

• Like 1

I am confident I can get a trigger wheel made up no problem.

A quick google brought up this: http://www.msel.co.nz/Hall-Effect-Gear-Tooth-Speed-Sensor-Unterminated

Will any old sensor do? Or does the ECU need to know the manufacturer/type of sensor to account for changes in resistance differences etc with different sensors? can you set this manually?

I am probably geting out of my depdth now.. Never dealt with this stuff before...

Hurrah! First time for everything.

For our purposes...... vr 2 wire, hall 3 wires ;)
They give different signals, A/M Ecu's handle either. Software compensation on how you have your trigger and some suggested ways of setting up for DTC.

Someone should will have a bunch more stuff to say on them, I've been "liking" stuff on Cole Customs FB page for ages so DT will fill in any details I'd imagine :)

I have been involved with 3 cars that use these sensors, They seem to be pretty robust. The added bonus of being able to adjust the distance they are from the trigger. You will have to add a pull up resistor though, but that is just a resistor soldiered between two of the wires. All aftermarket ecus will prefer the signal from one of these.

http://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/hall-effect-sensors/7659328/

• Like 2

Yep the gt101 works well altho link suggest not to use em not sure why tho. They output a square wave where a vr sensor outputs a sin wave. The ecu must then take the sin wave average its peaks and convert it to a square wave. This is why i prefer the hall effect sensor as it outputs a square wave from its source. As long as you cut a wheel that matches its data sheet itll bd fine. With vr sensors theres a very specific pitch / distance that must be followed or you end up with erratic timing ( meaning if you fix timing to say ten deg across the table then rev it it may wander ever direction) meaning at full go you may have 12deg advance dialled it but it may actually be at 14 deg. It becomes rather annoying for tuners who have an idea in there where they want the timing at but it ends up different etc

• Like 1