Ignition Coil compatibility

Lump

Just wondering if an old ignition coil I have lying around is a possible replacement for the one I have in the car.

The cars running a later Jag engine with electronic ignition (triggered of sensor wheel on the crank) The coil used is a Lucas DLB125

The other coil I have is a Champion CIC31. (This is from the jags old Chev V8 with aftermarket electronic ignition)

I done some googling - But I'm getting very confused where the descriptions talk about 'no ballast resitor' or similar. I'm not sure whether this means the coil doesn't have a ballast resistor and should have one or if it means it is internally resisted and therefore doesn't need a ballast resistor.

Could someone clear up how this works?

its all about dwell control.   old stuff  with no electronics to control dwell (how long coil charges for at different voltages) run a lower voltage coil and ballast resistor .    when cranking the ballast is  bypassed so the coil sees enough volts to charge.  once engine is running the coil is fed through the ballast to drop voltage, so coil doesn't have a meltdown

pretty much just need to find out what voltage coils they are.    if they are the same voltage, should be fine to use it

Someone had fitted a standard (ballast resistor type) coil to my car. Because they run on less than 12V through the ballast resistor, and my car doesn't use a ballast type system, it was running on too many volts, and drawing too many amps. This was chewing out my ignition points, which are small to start with. It was making tons of spark, but that's not a big problem on a low compression 2 stroke anyway. I replaced it with one of these, and all is now well.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Bosch-Ignition-Coil-SU12.aspx?pid=0580#Recommendations