Gear oil for old cars

SOHC

Whats a good gearbox oil to use in a Mk4 zephyr zodiac 4 speed box? the book says EP SAE 80, would that be a GL4 or a GL5 rating?

People say a GL5 will eat away or wear out syncros and or make for shit gear changes, dose this box have bronze syncros? 

And also a mid 1970s JAG XJ6 diff oil should that be a GL5? rated oil?

Cant seem to find any info on the net,

^Yeah EP addative.

SAE 80 is a mono weight gear oil. Just roll an 80w90 or 75w90 GL4

Do those boxes have needle bearings? If so, is sometimes a good idea to go with a ATF or 10w30 engine oil. GL4 will normally be better on changes due to it working better with syncros.

Diff oil prob 80w90 but i have a feeling some of the jags have weird oils in the diffs.

yeah ripco and superchump stock vmx80. 

castrol's website is pretty good. you can't go past a bit of forum searching and shit like that when it comes to double checking, esp for engine oils. 

they recommend VMX80 for the Zeph trans anyways

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

MANUAL VMX 80
Mild extreme pressure gear oil with special viscosity stabilisers to overcome shift problems. Recommended for use in transaxles of most front wheel drive vehicles with a transverse engine and manual transmissions experiencing low temperature shift problems. SAE 75W/80, API GL4.

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/CastrolRetailNzl/default.asp

I run it in the citroen. On that sack of shit forum warriors recommend to run a GL4 rather than a GL5 so it doesn't eat the brass bushes etc etc. 

on the jag - if it were me I'd just slam a GL4 90 diff oil in there. Not gonna hurt. 

Castrol says

DIFFERENTIAL

AXLE EPX 80W-90
Extreme pressure, multi-purpose gear oil designed for the protection of heavily loaded steel gears. It is recommended for use in differentials, gear boxes and steering gears of passenger cars, light trucks, farm tractors and earthmoving equipment

or SYNTRAX UNIVERSAL PLUS 75W-90
Fully synthetic automotive gear oil, recommended for vehicles with manual transaxles that combine gearbox and hypoid differentials; eg. Toyota Celica 4WD, Subaru, Porsche and Alfa Romeo. Recommended for use in manual transmission where 75W-90 GL-4 or 5 lubricants are recommended. Suitable for rear exles of light cars and secondary drive axles of 4WD vehicles for reduced viscous drag and enhanced fuel efficiency, especially for around town service.
Service Refill Capacity: 1.5 Litres.
  • Like 1

yeah ripco and superchump stock vmx80. 

castrol's website is pretty good. you can't go past a bit of forum searching and shit like that when it comes to double checking, esp for engine oils. 

they recommend VMX80 for the Zeph trans anyways

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

MANUAL VMX 80
Mild extreme pressure gear oil with special viscosity stabilisers to overcome shift problems. Recommended for use in transaxles of most front wheel drive vehicles with a transverse engine and manual transmissions experiencing low temperature shift problems. SAE 75W/80, API GL4.

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/CastrolRetailNzl/default.asp

I run it in the citroen. On that sack of shit forum warriors recommend to run a GL4 rather than a GL5 so it doesn't eat the brass bushes etc etc. 

on the jag - if it were me I'd just slam a GL4 90 diff oil in there. Not gonna hurt. 

Castrol says

DIFFERENTIAL

AXLE EPX 80W-90
Extreme pressure, multi-purpose gear oil designed for the protection of heavily loaded steel gears. It is recommended for use in differentials, gear boxes and steering gears of passenger cars, light trucks, farm tractors and earthmoving equipment

or SYNTRAX UNIVERSAL PLUS 75W-90
Fully synthetic automotive gear oil, recommended for vehicles with manual transaxles that combine gearbox and hypoid differentials; eg. Toyota Celica 4WD, Subaru, Porsche and Alfa Romeo. Recommended for use in manual transmission where 75W-90 GL-4 or 5 lubricants are recommended. Suitable for rear exles of light cars and secondary drive axles of 4WD vehicles for reduced viscous drag and enhanced fuel efficiency, especially for around town service.
Service Refill Capacity: 1.5 Litres.

Sounds pretty good to me, I think I will use the vmx80 in the gearbox