88 2.0ltr WB Starion ECU problem

bonehead

Hi guys, hopefully I am in the right area for asking for some help.

Finally got my ECU back from the chip guy, plugged it in - and... no joy. Engine wont fire up.

Car = 1988 WB Starion 4G63T with 82,000k's

Upgrade = chipped ecu from SuperChips

Problem = Car is in showroom condition (which makes this issue more stressful) and was starting up and driving wonderfully before chipping - since re-installing the chipped ECU the car will not fire up.

Pre surgery = disconnected battery (pos first), removed ECU, wrapped up battery terminals.

Post surgery = reconnected ECU (double checked plugs correctly seated) then reconnected battery (negative first etc)

Symptoms = starter motor cranks motor over furiously like a 16yo schoolgirl pulling on a.. erm.. wrench. But no ignition. Engine doesn't explode to life like a low kilometre 4G63 should (as it did before removing factory ECU)

Control measures investigated: All fuses okay.

Connected the Evo3 Chariot (daily driver) to jump the Starion.

Checked for spark from ignition system - lots of energy flowing everywhere.

All instruments light up and gauges sweep etc.

I need help from anyone familiar with Mitsubishi, Starions, chipped ECUs, etc.

Please help - any tips or information will be greatly appreciated - If it comes to it I am happy to have the ECU chipped back to it's factory chip but any other constructive ideas or information would be preferred.

If some kind soul could temporarily supply me with a working Starion ECU to troubleshoot my car with I would be in your debt.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Kind regards,

Bonehead.

I wasn't aware you could even chip a Starion ECU? who did you send it to and what claims do they make in terms of performance upgrades? You should be able to use an ECU out of any post 85ish intercooled Starion so long as the plugs are the same (there are two plug types on the ECU, three if you count the DASH ECU).

G'day Stefan.

I'd send the ECU back and ask for it to be returned to stock. I've had a poke around the ROM file of the later model Starion ECUs, and it's my opinion that they're so antiquated there is almost no performance to be gained by mucking around with them. The fuelling tables I found were only 6x6 in size, so very low resolution. As far as I know, 88/89 ECU's are the only ones that can be 'chipped', as they're the only ones with a separate memory board inside.

The timing curves for starions are determined by the mechanical advance weights, and vacuum advance units on the distributor, with other adjustments made by the ignition module box in response to knock sensor and boost signals. As you can't change this timing info by playing with the ECU, things could get a bit dangerous if you try upping the boost. Even when more fuel is added to compensate, these motors are pretty detonation prone at anything approaching 15psi. Compounding this problem is the thick combustion sealing rings used (2.0mm)... You'd think this would be a good thing, but it actually makes for a less effective seal as the rings have more area to spread their pressure over, and it makes the space between the ring lands very thin and prone to breaking.

Really feel for you mate, that would be a shitty thing to happen. A lot of those mail in chipping guys are real cowboys. I've looked at some ROM's that have come back from them, and have seen really really unsafe timing advance put into later model vehicles. They make a bit more power, sure, but for how long? I really wish you were in ChCh, I'd be over in a flash (pun intended) to have a look for you, and maybe try to figure out something else to do. I think what you should do, is buy a cheap 88/89 2.6l ECU from the states, completely gut it, and install a megasquirt or similar aftermarket ECU inside, using the original Mitsy plugs. You could get it running much better and still looking completely stock. Once you have your original ECU fixed, you can simply swap back to it to make the car showroom correct again. A proper tuning session on a dyno, or a whole heap of road tuning, with a configurable ecu will be a million times better than any mail in chip you get, particularly with something as uncommon, and antiquated (I say that fondly :-)) as a Starion :-).

Oh, and it sounds like you took all the correct precautions to not fry the ECU when installing and removing it, so don't worry about that. I've never heard of someone bricking a Starion ecu from just installing or removing it, with the ignition off that is.

let me know how you get on man!

• Like 1