Rookie's Fauxtus 7

Rookie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So got back into this, currently the battery is mounted in the passenger footwell and tbh it is less than ideal, so I bought a motorbike battery and set to making a mount for it. There are a couple of bits of angle iron behind the passenger seat and I assume that this is where the builder intended the battery to go. so I designed this to fit there.

IMG_20140127_160134_zps1973501b.jpg

Plenty of UJing, because he's pretty cool.

And with the battery.

IMG_20140127_160550_zpsde33ddad.jpg

IMG_20140127_160556_zps9e5dbd82.jpg

Then I decide that I sould finish the straight pipe I am making so here is a rough approximation of a tig weld.

IMG_20140127_170526_zps34139152.jpg

And the finished exhaust.

IMG_20140127_170604_zps63773b33.jpg

• Like 1

So the day started all good, breakfast was mean, Sparky and I got shit done and got the car back together, then we decided to go to Dodgy Sams.

Driving up Spa road like 800m from my house there was a cop, we were driving up a hill it is noisy as fuck, why he didn’t roll us I have no idea…

Fill up, and get onto Broadlands road, car starts missing for some reason, no idea why, we rewire the fuel pump, while we have the bonnet off, the wind caught it and now it is scratched. We rewired it because it has quite a small cable feeding it now with the new wiring, no difference. See that one of the carbs is over flowing with fuel, realise that it isn’t lean so we will be fine, drive to Dodgys.

Get there and proceed to go for several drives up the road, adjusting things like fuel pressure and float heights, manage crack the sump because it is so low.

Do grass skids in the paddock; mean, let Sparky have a skid and he almost immediately he drives into the motocross berm (that neither of us knew existed and I just happened to complete miss it by fluke) and rip the exhaust of and put a huge gark in the side of it.

We then we welded it up and played with it more because it is a still running like a bag of faggots. Have dinner, realise that we are going to have to drive home in the dark, it is now freezing by this stage (and we are in t shirts, shorts, and jandels), so we scrounge jackets and shit of Dodgy, get like 3 km down the road and the lights go out. Fuck!

I have it idling there while we test the voltages without the fan like a chump, and it pops a radiator hose covering us both in super disgusting rust water. Call Dodgy, get a tow back to his, because we figured out that I forgot a wire so the battery isn’t getting charged, and we think we can fix it, so spend a bit of time add missing wire, refill radiator, get it going and have it idling so the thermostat will open to add more water, seems ok, so we pack up, put the car back together, head off (at 10.30) get 400m down the road before something is completely amiss as the temp gauge soars to 250°f, head back to Dodgys and admit defeat/ BHG.

Drive his truck home/ fail at life. Now I have a huge shopping list and not much money to buy it.

Got a sweet photo though...

1781893_10152224177510856_967538122_n.jp

Thanks to all of those who made yesterday possible hahaha

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So since then I have repaired all of the wrongs, found some more problems and fixed most of those too. Getting close to the trackday now, so have been doing a push to get it done. 

I welded up the sump, this is the only photo I took for a whole weekends work. Also TIG is the bomb for fixing things that need to be water tight, I would have been here all week trying to fix this with my mig.

IMG_20140206_103712_zpsc3n0947r.jpg

Then I painted the aero screen and put the slicks on.

IMG_20140213_073155_zpsoye4o5sb.jpg

• Like 7

bearings_zps6f06473e.jpg

The day started off alright, I have wanted to do this since I got the jag...

IMG_20140215_083254_zps7ejwdv6f.jpg

I started out this morning with good spirits, car flew through tech, and I was ready to go, did the sighting laps, and the slicks warmed up good so I was happy. Went out for my run and it was all going swimingly untill the 4th lap, it lost power and had 10 psi oil pressure, pulled into the pits and tried to work out what was wrong, ended up taking the sump off and 2 or the rods were loose on the crank so I knew it was a day ender.

IMG_20140215_134507_zpsosohqkr0.jpg

Edit: I just noticed that basically everything I have posted in this thread is about this car being a dick...

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Steeb wants to know about dry sumps so here goes. I got the initial idea from here:
http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67210343-Dry-sump-construction

Kents having the great racing pedigree that they do, are particularly easy to get dry sump pumps for, but don't let the price of new pumps put you off, get a second hand nascar one out of the states, just make sure it is good, get the seller to pull it apart before he sends it as they get fucked real easy with a grenaded motor. Deck you pump out with brass hose barbs because AN fittings are gayer than my mostache, not to mention cost more than Kirks stripper habit.

So the pump I have is a 5 port Brian Hart pump, it looks kinda like this (except it has a tach drive on the end of it):
DSCF6059%20Oil%20Pump.JPG

And the way you set up the hoses is like this:
167-01-SIDE.JPG

Hose sizes depend on your motor and the length of the lines, but as a rule 3/4" for the scavenge lines and the feed line from the bottom of the tank, and 5/8" will do you well for the pressure lines.

The next part is the pan, you either buy a fancy cast alloy or fabricated steel one ($$$), or chop up a stock pan and modify it.

alloy-sumps.jpg

I chose the second option because I'm cheap. As for the design there are many ways to do it, the OG cosworth ones have a valley in the middle, but after doing some reading it is better to have the scavenge pick up on the side the oil gets flung by the crank. From what I can tell there is no hard and fast rule about the pan and almost anything will do, but don't quote me on that.

I chopped up my stock pan and bolted it to a spare block, cut out all the bits to make it look like I wanted, and fizzed it together. I also added some mesh and magnets inside, it basically looks like this ( complete with shitty welding):
drysumpracer.jpg

Next up is the tank, again you can buy them, but they are freaking expensive, so again I opted to make it myself. These are actually pretty trick, because you have to deaerate the oil as it is a frothy mess when it comes out of the sump. To do this it is best to have a round tank so you can spin it around the outside.

So the tank inlet has to be at a tangent to the id of the tank, there also has to be a deaerating cone inside the tank to help this process. Add to that it's height should be more than 2.5 diameter. It has to have a minimum of 6l of oil. Can only be 2/3rds full. As well as make the tank so you can open it an clean it. AND actually fit in you car. So plenty of design factors to think about.

With my tank I short of cheated and made it a bit too round and not tall enough, but everything is a compromise. I drew it in solid works and Then sent off the drawings to be laser cut. And I got the main body rolled by a local sheet metal place, the cones are just bent over a bit of 1" galv water pipe (my favourite).

It looks like this:gMAeZ.jpg

The other things you have to do are put an oil filter, and oil cooler (optional); Aliexpress will sort you out for this, but that is basically it.

So costs:

Pump, I got mine on trademe for $300

Pan, stock pan I had lying around, plus some sheet metal and fittings call it $30

Tank, I got the laser cut bits for $60 and the rolled bit for $30

Hose barbs, $100

Oil Filter housing, $30

Hose, $??? Probably in the region of $50 as you don't need braided line and it isn't high pressure.

• Like 6