Brake upgrades on a Datsun 720?

WhangareiKE70

Hi guys,

Thinking about potential brake upgrades for part 2 of my project with my Datsun 720 (part 1 is get rust out which is coming along nicely, should update project thread).

It's a 4wd Datsun 720, and in part 2 I want to put a VG30DE in it. with this new power (when it happens), I will need better brakes. I was thinking about getting a complete setup from a newer 4wd Nissan ute, which has the same type of suspension setup, so as to keep the 6 stud pattern but hopefully gain better brakes and all round disks (currently has little disks in front and drums in the rear).

What I need to know basically is what I am missing/don't understand.

-If I use the full brake system from something else can I just use the brake master cylinder from that?

-I know I will need a custom rear driveshaft for the new live axle, but how do I get the front driveshafts to work?

-And the rest.

TL:DR?

Help me decide how to get better brakes on my Datsun 720 4wd.

yeah if you are upgrading the the front and rear brakes, then you should use the master cylinder off the same vehicle, to meed the fluid requirements

And probably be worth changing the propertioning valve, as the brakes would act differently with dics and drums

As for the front drive shaft, why would you need to change that at all?

The reason I may need to change the driveshaft is because I want to put different brakes (calipers, disks etc) from a different model on (the same model as I would get the rear axle from)?

Would it be possible to just upgrade the front brakes, and then put in a different rear diff? If so how would I then go about upgrading the front? Does anyone make upgrade kits for 4wd 720s? (I doubt it)

In reference to:

Regarding the driveshaft,

I think he's referring to trying to keep the vehicle four wheel drive. And the problem he's facing is how to couple the front driveshaft to the new gearbox/transfer case etc behind the VG30DE.

I will be keeping the same transfer case as it's seperate from the gearbox anyway, I will just be adapting the driveshaft between the gearbox and transfer case.