Ned's Slam-Trailer

Ned

I wouldnt want to make one for someone else to roll the same as me TBH... And its a bogus design that i sucked out of my thumb while drunk one night, so no idea if it's actually gonna be good enough and hold any weight what-so-ever. Dont wanna be responsible/held accountable for it TBH. Plus i have enough shit to do, but if you did it yourself, my parts cost is roughly as follows;

steel - $300-350

hubs etc - $450

decking material - $50

Grinder consumables - $60

welder somsumables - fuck knows

Plates and rego - $100

WOF - $42

wheels - use what you've got i assume

new tires - $198

Putting it all together, probably a weekends work (15 hours?)

So it's (hopefully) going to cost me no more than $1250 + whatever i owe Wez for welding it together.

Plus a couple nights design work getting all the dimensions etc and sourcing parts.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EURON8

A few things aside from it coming along looking sweet as!!

- hahahahaha I could have told you that sheet was gonna catch fire. Even a wide spread stream of sparks generates a lot of heat on the surface they are hitting. Wait till u have a rag with thinners on it near by haha.

- have you measured from the end of the axle tube to the centre of the draw bar to ensure squareness.

- (I dont doubt wezs abilities in any way) but make sure all points of all joins are tacked well before welding and still spread the welding out and take ya time so you don't get to much heat build up and one area.

- Do you still need me to stop in tomorrow? Doesn't look like it.

- turning the stubs down on the lathe is a good idea. Better than grinding. Forgot you had he lathe. Maybe leave 5-10mm of the original thickness to butt up against the tube to weld on.

Good progress and look forward to seeing it behind the starlet next week.

Guest Born Loser

Yeah i had a steel rack at work to raid. As the other Chris said. Make sure the welding is spread across the whole frame. Weld one corner then move diagonally to the next then vice versa. This shit loves to twist when welded.. Lathe up the axles for sure but ive always grinded mine. Ive done 100s of trailers.

Cant wait to see it !

I really miss my -18 camber on my slamiler though. Got so much more looks than just a slammed trailer

Guest snapper

and those are old car battys on de bottom shelf eh. although they only evac hydrogen gas under charging, I'd not be creating a shit-ton of sparks next to them on principle. exploding battery = anti-personnel bomb.

trailer looking awesome Ned, following this one with interest.

I wish I had a large pile off stuff lying around so I wouldn't have had to buy everything new, but (un)fortunately I don't have much shit

you has a well-organised garage and a lathe and mig. thats great shit right there.

Guest flyingbrick

Fuck Ned! That's going to be awkwardly low!!

It's awesome but what if ur cars loaded- the bums sacked- front of ur trailer may dig in?

Lol.. It's fuckin sweet but looks like it may be pretty miserable in practice?

Guest durty

Fuck Ned! That's going to be awkwardly low!!

It's awesome but what if ur cars loaded- the bums sacked- front of ur trailer may dig in?

Lol.. It's fuckin sweet but looks like it may be pretty miserable in practice?

will be sweet as.

just means he need to get the starlet raked as and solid as rear suspension so that doesnt happen

Guest Born Loser

Looking Ideal dude! Who cars if the front digs in. Get worried!

Or make a 2 inch spacer for the coupling. thats what im doing as a 40mm high trailer aint always practical

Guest Vintage Grumble

Ha, get a WOF, then flip it over, lols.

Is the goose neck welded or bent? The safety llama in me says to gusset that bad boy. Tho I guess it wont be hauling much weight.

LOOKING GOOD.

Thought it was probably time for proper pics :)

Obviously that pic before was upside down.

Here it is on the side of the road sitting sweet as shit!

IMG_20130324_145710.jpg

IMG_20130324_145726.jpg

Sits so nice (IMHO)

IMG_20130324_145759.jpg

obligatory bic lighter pic :)

IMG_20130324_145751.jpg

No driveways are safe!

IMG_20130324_150942.jpg

Both wheels off the ground... good thing i have a 7K and not a 4AGE or i'd be fucked when this happens ;) hahahaha (jokes guys, jokes!)

IMG_20130324_150017.jpg

And got most the deck on. Theres cut-outs in the wood around the front for the 25x25 RHS like the drawings i made

IMG_20130324_212149.jpg

It tows well really. And 40-50mm off the ground is fine for the road, just a bit average for driveways etc.

• Like 1