4g63t Turbo choice.

sgtjackass

So my daily is running out of puff. I get 10psi by 2200 rpm and run out at 4500 rpm. Currently running a td04-15g which as I understand is a td04 front with a td-05 hotside.

Engine is vr4 spec, 450cc injectors. Big front mount and 2.5" exhaust. Tiny down pipe.

Options are...

td04-19t upgrade (biggest td04 spec turbo), TD05 16g or TD05 20g.

Also what is the difference between Evo 1-3, Evo 4-9 and WRX TD05's.

Any help would be appreciated

The logical choice, with the least modifications required is a TD-05 14B from a VR4 or TD-05H 16G from an Evo 1-3.

An EVO 3 TD-05H (big) 16G would be the most desireable.

You could even find someone selling the complete manifold to down pipe if they are doing a major upgrade.

EVO 4-6 are TD-05HR and spin the opposite direction, thus all the housing are orientated the opposite.

Their turbine housing are also all 'twin scroll' if you are going to the effort/$$ to fit one of these, there are better options to consider.

Subaru MHI turbo's have Hot / Cold housings to suit the Subaru Manifolds, thus do not 'bolt-on' to Mitsi's, no idea if the CHRA can be swapped into Mitsi housings, that you would then need to buy anyway.

Ermm.. didn't you say in your previous threads it was full Evo spec with the yellow 510cc injectors and TD05-16G turbo already?

TD04-15T is not a TD05 hybrid, it's just the largest compressor wheel TD04 Mitsubishi use - the cartridge and exhaust side is still the same. The RVR turbo is actually a TD04HL rather than a TD04 or TD04 (each have differing exhaust wheels). Volvos use Mitsubishi TD04HL turbos up to 19T but they are quite Volvo specific with BOV's built into the compressor housing and a different exhaust flange pattern. Unsure about Subaru TD04s and TD05s, I know they have their own specific exhaust pattern too and an elbow on the intake of the compressor housing.

Anyway the best bang for buck and easiest upgrade would be a TD05H-16G from an Evolution VR-4 (normal VR-4s will have the smaller compressor wheeled TD05H-14B) or from a Lancer Evolution 1-3, though some Evo1's have been reported to having the smaller 16G wheel (appropriately nicknamed small-16G and big-16G). The Evo3 exhaust housing is larger still (but the wheel is the same) than the other 16G turbos.

My VR-4 turbo is essentially the same as that but with an 8deg back cut turbine wheel and it comes on boost a bit earlier than 3800rpms - it gets about 15psi by 3500rpms, it didn't feel much laggier than the OEM big-16G anyway. Definitely noticed a huge improvement in top end power.

That post was the day I got the car, just assumed it was a hyper gear model. Turns out it has a smaller turbo and has povo spec injectos- ie is a kitted standard RVR. Serves me right for believing everything i read on the internets.

My budget would be around $1000 and that would have to include the new dump pipe. My goal is to still have a pretty responsive car, but with abit more puff at the top end. Its never going to be reved hard or raced. I will forget about td04's, and look for a TD05 16g. Cheers for your help.

you will also need the TD05 specific oil and coolant lines to go with the TD05 turbo. The TD04 cartridge is smaller so the oil drain pipe is longer on a TD04, and the thread diameter and pitch on the oil feed + coolant lines are smaller too. I found this out when I was going to fit my spare TD04HL to my VR-4 while the 16G was off being turned into a 20G.