Econovan help - missing at initial throttle input

hutchwilco

So I'm hoping someone can offer some advice:

I got a1800 F8 in my 88 Econovan. Its been sitting for a year.

Got her goin with a new battery the other day, took her out around town for a warrant etc. After it had warmed up, it started missing right when I first put the gas on, in each gear, about where the load is the highest (just before the clutch is fully engaged). Once past that it would generally run fine cruising.

I could avoid the missing/stalling by riding the clutch out and smoothing out the instantaneous load on the engine - for a while. Then she backfired a few spectacular times - enough to make most of a city block duck for cover.

I put in new plugs. Still does it.

Check all the leads, all between 4&6 MOhms

Drained off the bottom of the fuel, to see if there was water - nope.

Haven't looked at the carb as its a bitch to get to under the drivers seat.

I'm pretty convinced it's ignition related, since it's such a sharply defined miss.

Any advice? Could this be something to do with the ign coil failing?

Possibly stale fuel.. Drain tank and chuck in new stuff..

Alternatively try replacing points and condensor? Condensor specifically..

Note - the condensor is a bit of an oddball one and Repco can get it in but they are often a couple days ex Australia..

Possibly stale fuel.. Drain tank and chuck in new stuff..

Note - the condensor is a bit of an oddball one and Repco can get it in but they are often a couple days ex Australia..

Cheers,

Not sure that it's stale fuel - only does it once warmed up, and it occurs at a very specific point in the throttle/clutch sequence.

I'm beginning to suspect the ignition coil, but condensor may also be a factor. cheers

not too bad to get to the carb in these.

you do have to take the seat out and the plate that runs over the top of the carb.

just time consuming, about 20mins to get access..

my old van had the same thing....the carb was fucked

then it used to bog down and use epic amounts of fuel, was thermostat related,choke was on 100% of the time...

Cheers. Not the answers I wanted to hear but there you go. I checked the coil, it's ok. The points, however were not - definitely pitted and built-up on opposite sides. Think I go for a new set and see where that leaves me.

I'm pretty certain it's not a "soft" fuel problem, given the instant on/off nature of the missing and the fact that fuel gets thru the cylinders to then ignite in the exhaust. Also, the choke has no effect if I pull it on, telling me its not a lack of fuel or water in the fuel.

SOLVED

Awesome, thanks k-trips it was the condensor - well, the points were shot, so I replaced them, but the problem almost got worse - so replaced the condensor and boom, runs like a dream. Incidentally, repco had the condensor in stock, but I ended up going to Butler Auto Mart on Stanmore Rd Richmond (awesome cos they stay open till 8 most nights) and had it cheaper - $13. Not bad.

Cheers