Carb stuff

MRWEST

Any of you old folk know anything about carbs??? Im used to the fancy injected technology.

Got a supposidly factory 283 Chev Four barrel intake manifold.

And scored a rebuilt Holley 450 that was meant to go onto a 350 Chev.

Now they dont bolt to each other, picking i need one of those fangdangled adaptors iv seen on trademe.

Would that be right? And if so how do i tell what i have/what i need.

All help greatly appreciated!!

I'm no expert but it sounds like the manifold is a spreadbore and the carb is a squarebore?

The factory 4BBL carb would probably have been a quadrajet.

I think this is the one you need but could be wrong.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/carburation-induction/auction-529234460.htm

Have you got some pics of the manifold and carb base?

Those adapotos are a bit crappy, I used one to put an 850 Holly spread bore onto a square bore intake manifold, one of the passages on the carb wasn't covered by the spacer and leaked air, it looked crappy and made the carb too high.

Ended up just buying a Holley alloy manifold off trademe....Now the next issue is should i be wanting a vacuum or mechanical secondaries? Cause the one iv got is mechanical which may or may not be ideal? Like i said above, no clue about carbs haha

For street cars the vacuum secondary carburetor works best on midweight or heavyweight cars with an automatic transmission. They are more forgiving than a Double Pumper is because they work by sensing engine load. The mechanical secondary carburetor is best on a lighter car with radical camshaft and a lower gear and manual transmission or on a car that is going to be used for racing purposes.

Have a go on this;

http://www.holley.co...rbSelection.asp